Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 65W G4 Desktop Mini PC

I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G4 DM 65W with a core-i5 8500T processor and a 90w power supply. Everything works well. I recently snagged a HP ProDesk 400 G6 SFF with a core-i5-9500 processor for fairly cheap. It works well but I really like the portability of the DM line. 

I checked that the motherboard chipset for the EliteDesk 800 G4 is Q370. The motherboard chipset for the ProDesk 400 G6 is B360. 

I'm thinking of taking the core i5-9500 from the ProDesk and dropping it into the EliteDesk 800 G4. According to Intel (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/134895/intel-core-i59500-processor-9m-cache-up-... the Q370 and the B360 are shown under the i5-9500. Question 1: Will the i5-9500 work on a Q370 board?

Power: I have an existing 90w power supply and the TDP of the i5-9500 is 65w. Question 2: Is my 90w power supply okay or should I consider a 150w?

Cooling: Would I need to consider extra cooling besides the stock fan and heatsink on the EliteDesk 800 G4? Given that its a 65w unit already, I assume it should be able to handle a 65w TDP CPU.

Edit: I feel like I have my answers but this is more of a sanity check to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ncg,

Welcome to our peer-to-peer HP Community Forum!

Your HP EliteDesk 800 G4 DM 65W is fitted with an HP Motherboard (SSID: 845A).  According to this HP EliteDesk 800 G4 DM 65W User benchmark, it suggests that an i5-9500 is indeed compatible with your DM: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/61068514.

Since you already got the processor, you can try it out, but there is another caveat: your i5-8500T has a 25-watt TDP, whereas the i5-9500 has a 65-watt TDP. Meaning, the 90-watt power adapter may not provide sufficient juice for your DM once the 65-watt processor is installed.

Meaning, this processor upgrade may require a power supply upgrade as well: using an inexpensive (eBay!) 230-watt PSU with HP p/n: 67765-001 (better searchable in eBay as: 693714-001), like I did with my own HP EliteDesk 800 G4 65W DM upgrade project: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrading-an-HP-EliteDesk-800-6....  Like you mentioned, there is also a 150-watt power adapter.

Btw, the worst that can happen if your i5-9500 somehow isn't compatible, is that you'll hear some beeps and you'll see a black screen.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ncg,

Welcome to our peer-to-peer HP Community Forum!

Your HP EliteDesk 800 G4 DM 65W is fitted with an HP Motherboard (SSID: 845A).  According to this HP EliteDesk 800 G4 DM 65W User benchmark, it suggests that an i5-9500 is indeed compatible with your DM: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/61068514.

Since you already got the processor, you can try it out, but there is another caveat: your i5-8500T has a 25-watt TDP, whereas the i5-9500 has a 65-watt TDP. Meaning, the 90-watt power adapter may not provide sufficient juice for your DM once the 65-watt processor is installed.

Meaning, this processor upgrade may require a power supply upgrade as well: using an inexpensive (eBay!) 230-watt PSU with HP p/n: 67765-001 (better searchable in eBay as: 693714-001), like I did with my own HP EliteDesk 800 G4 65W DM upgrade project: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrading-an-HP-EliteDesk-800-6....  Like you mentioned, there is also a 150-watt power adapter.

Btw, the worst that can happen if your i5-9500 somehow isn't compatible, is that you'll hear some beeps and you'll see a black screen.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response and details! My inspiration for tinkering with my prior G3 and now my G4 is due to your posts. 

Do you think cooling will be okay? I figured it will be and will monitor temps. I’m expecting that the 9th gen cpu will run much hotter than the 8th gen T processor.

HP Recommended

@ncg,

You are most welcome!  Thank you kindly for your vote of confidence, that means a lot to me.

Oh, yes: you got acceptable DM heatsink cooling with a 65-watt processor.  It is only when you venture to 95-watt processors like I did, that things are starting to get, well, toasty.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Quick update: I swapped out the i5-8500T with the i5-9500 cpu to see if I could run the 400 G4 DM on the current 90w power supply I had. Luckily it booted right up without any fuss.

With Core Temp running in the background, I ran a User Benchmark test. Min temps for all 6 cores were around 39-40 and max temps 71-74. It seemed like a short test only for about 7-8 minutes and wondering if those temps are anything I need to think about and if I should consider any additional cooling solutions? Seems like they're in the range of acceptable but I'll try to do a longer stress test to see where the cores max out at.

I do have a 230w power supply on the way but seems like the 90w is doing just fine for now. I play some games from the early 2000s on a lan so if anything is really going to stress out the cpu, its those games. 

HP Recommended

@ncg,

Outstanding news! -Thank you for sharing.

Max temps of only 71-74° C?  You are A-OK!

Mind you, the TJUNCTION (or TMAX) for an i5-9500 is 100°C.  Meaning, if your CPU temps are maxing out with anything less than 80°C, there are no worries whatsoever.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.