Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix 810-460
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My father purchased this computer in August of last year just before the Intel Broadwell Socket 1150 chips (i7 5775C and i5 5675C).  This HP computer contains a Z97 chipset which should have support for both of these chips with a BIOS update.  However, I have not seen any such BIOS update released from HP other than the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI which I can't get to run on his computer.  Will it be safe to drop in one of these processors without a BIOS update and sucessfully run the chip?  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

I don't believe the Broadwell chip will work on this PC without BIOS support from HP.

There is a BIOS update available from HP under Win 8.1 (sp71809.exe). There is no HP documentation included  indicating this BIOS update adds support for Broadwell.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

I don't believe the Broadwell chip will work on this PC without BIOS support from HP.

There is a BIOS update available from HP under Win 8.1 (sp71809.exe). There is no HP documentation included  indicating this BIOS update adds support for Broadwell.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

That BIOS update came out after Broadwell was released and other motherboard manufacturers included support (06/01/15) for Broadwell.  I'll apply it and hope support is in there.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi.

Best Wishes.

Jay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.