Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1421
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The graphics card that comes in this PC only has VGA and DVI outputs. Is there a way to add a card that will have HDMI and DVI outputs? I prefer to use two monitors. I don't want to have power supply issues as mentioned in previous forums.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is no way to add a video card without upgrading the power supply unit (PSU).  The current PSU is only 300W.  While some of the newer cards state in the specs that they will run on 300W, most members have reported that they require 400W.

Here is a USB 3.0 video adapter that will work.  You have two USB 3.0 ports on the back of your computer.  I suggest contacting StarTech's Tech Support for help with choosing the best video adapter for your needs.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

There is no way to add a video card without upgrading the power supply unit (PSU).  The current PSU is only 300W.  While some of the newer cards state in the specs that they will run on 300W, most members have reported that they require 400W.

Here is a USB 3.0 video adapter that will work.  You have two USB 3.0 ports on the back of your computer.  I suggest contacting StarTech's Tech Support for help with choosing the best video adapter for your needs.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Actually I have discovered in the specs that this computer uses 65w power for the graphics. I found a graphic card suitable for my purpose of using dual monitors for office work (not gaming). It uses 23w of power. MSI GeForce GT 720 DirectX 12 N720-1GD3HLP 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card...

I'm actually going to be using less power with this card in most situations. Another consideration for others who are interested in this, is that the computer comes with empty add-in slots. The video card goes into the PCI slot which was empty. The basic computer before any upgrades is not using all of its power so a video card chosen 'may' work fine if nothing else has been added already.

Barry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.