Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have a Z2 G9 Tower with 12600k. I wanted to upgrade to 13600k today and, to my surprise, the system won't start. It runs for a mere second, the fans spin, only to power off immediately after. Switching back to 12600k and everything works just fine.

BIOS is up to date. I tried resetting the CMOS. Disconnected every device. It didn't help.

Is there some known issue with 13th gen that may require some other hardware changes, like changing the motherboard to a newer revision?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@wrobelda,

Welcome to our HP community forum!

Your HP Z2 Tower G9 Workstation is very much compatible with 13th gen Intel processors, all the way up to an i9-13900KUserBenchmark: HP Z2 Tower G9 Workstation Desktop PC Compatible Components.

Since you said your workstation is up to date using HP Z2 Tower G9 Workstation Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Support, and I assume Windows up-to-date as well, I would reinstall your i5-13600K, unhook everything except your keyboard/mouse and monitor, powering on your desktop whilst keeping the power button pressed in until it turns off again, and repeat.  Then turn it on and wait.  Seriously, sometimes it takes minutes with (or without) clicks and clacks and a dark screen for your PC to make the internal adjustments in order to boot up.

Let's see if this works.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

That's exactly what I was doing. Nothing was helping, I gave up and went back to my old 12600k. But couple days later I tried one more time before sending the CPU back,, and — surprise, surprise —  it worked. Completely puzzled. I didn't have to do anything this time, just swapped the CPUs and it booted right away. 

Super odd.

HP Recommended

It might be also a CPU Cooler issue. There are at least two different cooler according to the partsurfer website. One which is a standard heatsink fan and one which is the high performance heatsink. The standard cooler has a 4pin connector, while the high performance heatsink has a 5pin connector.

The HP bios might detect that the standard headsink is used with an performance CPU and might therefore not boot.

To avoid causing any heat issues I would check which kind of cooler you have installed (as I think the i5 require only the standard one)  and then order the high performance heatsink cooler via PartSurfer and replace it as well.

--------
If the answer is helpful mark it with Kudos by clicking on the kudos button. If your problem is solved then mark it as solved. Thanks 🙂

P.S.
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

If a wrong cooler is installed, you get an explicit POST error regarding that. I know this for a fact. You get a similar error when no cooler is attached whatsoever. The system turning off by itself without a POST message or without LED/sound beeps is abnormality.

Besides, as I explained, this got fixed by itself, without changing anything else in the system.

HP Recommended

@wrobelda,

It has nothing to do with the cooler.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.