Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z800
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I currently have an HP Z800 with dual physical processors.  The motherboard is not compatible with NVMe.

Do any of you know if:

1)  An HP Z820 motherboard will fit into the HP Z800 case?

2)  Will the RAM, Processors, Power Supply, and Liquid Cooling System from the HP Z800 work with the HP Z820 motherboard?

3)  Is the HP Z820 motherboard PCIe 3.0?

4)  Is the HP Z820 motherboard compatible with NVMe?

I am hoping that swapping out the HP Z800 motherboard with the HP Z820 motherboard will permit the use of the Intel 750 1.2 TB SSD Add In Card that works with NVMe.  The added benefit will be increasing speed in other areas.

Any knowledgeable input will be greatly appreciated!

Best,

John

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

According to this spec sheet, the HP Z820 uses the Intel® C602 Chipset.

To my knowledge NVMe is only 'officially' supported with the Intel Z97/H97 & X99 Chipsets.

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
          If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello y2ken,

Do you know if the BIOS can be flashed to support NVMe on the HP Z820 mother board?

Thanks,

John

HP Recommended

You would need to go the the Drivers and Software Downloads page for the HP Z820 enter your operating system and check the available BIOS updates.

Have you considered building your own X99/Z97 system? There are kits available.

Might be easier/cheaper than doing a Frankenbuild. :Wink:

My System: Self-Built Custom
Case: In Win 904 ATX
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero - Socket 1150
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock SR1 Topflow
RAM: 16G Corsair Vengeance 1866
GPU: Gigbyte GTX GeForce 660 OC
PSU: Corsair RM650 80 Plus Gold
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 1TB
HDD #1: Samsung 1TB
HDD#2: Hitachi 3TB
WiFi: Asus Dual Band AC1900 PCI-e
Monitor: 27" IPS Panel
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Vengeance - Cherry MX Mechanical Switches
Mouse: Cyborg RATT 9 Wireless Gaming Mouse
OD: LG BluRay Burner

HP Recommended

Thanks for that information y2ken.

I already own a highly specialized and very powerful HP Z800.  It is far less expensive to swap out a motherboard for around 300 bucks, than it is to re-build an entire system from scratch if I am able to achieve the functionality needed with the parts I already have.

Best,

John

HP Recommended

while it is possible to do so it's not a viable option. i have both systems (z800  z820)

the main issues related to a swap are

1. rear I/O plates are diffrent between modles

on both systems the rear I/O area's are not removable. you would have to use a dremel to cut out the existing I/O area

2. power supply

the z820 supply has a additional power jack connector which the z800 lacks, you will need a z820 supply

3. power/wiring harness

again the z820 harness has a 3rd grouping of wires which mate to the motherboard the z800 pwr supply/harness lacks this  and it's not pratical to mod the existing power supply/harness to add the missing lines although it could be done

Note:

you could i use a z820 supply/harness in a z800  (but not the other way) as all other connectors/pinouts on the harness appear the same

4 .heatsinks/cooling

the z820 heatsinks do not have fans, the cpu's memory/motherboard parts are cooled by the top shroud that has 6 fans in it that mate the shroud's fan connector to a socket on the motherboard

while it is possible to use the z820 heatsink/fans and add several more for mem/MB cooling and connect them to the

motherboard socket, again this is a time consuming item to do yourself (what's yoyr time worth?)

5. front USB

you will need to swap out the z800 front usb 2.0 I/O with the z820 USB 3.0 part which is a direct swap

it's actually cheaper to sell your z800 and buy a z820 than trying to mod a z800 into a z820

HP Recommended

Another option may be to use a PCIe to M.2 or SSD adapter. You would need to use the AHCI protocol instead of NVMe but the speed would still be much higher than you would get using SATA especially if your system supports PCIe 3.0

HP Recommended

If adding a bootable AHCI  SSD via PCI-e, you must make sure the SSD has the nessary Legacy OROMS embeded into the SSD

if using a z800 (the z820 has the nessary oroms as of bios 3.69)

these OROMS, allow the SSD Bios boot code to merge with the motherboard bios

the Samsung xm941/sm951 ssd's do not have this code as they were OEM devices (z820 and up)

the Samsung sm950 does have legacy OROMS to allow booting, as this is a retail product z800 and up)

as for PCI-E to M.2 adapters, there are x4 single/dual M.2 SSD adapters just do a search

one such x4 card is the one listed below that can also be used in a pci-e 2.0 based system like the z800 has

Addonics M2 PCIe SSD - PCIe 3.0 4-Lane Adapter ( z800 must use a ssd with embeded Legacy OROMS)

there is also a PCI-E x2 mSATA card that can have up to 4 SSD's on it that is bootable using a marvell chip

Addonics AD4MSPX2-A ( card can use any mSATA SSD and is bootable on any system, card has legacy OROM support)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.