Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-110
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to replace the existing DVD drive (ultra slim tray SuperMulti DVD burner drive) on a pavilion 550-110 desktop PC with a Blu-ray drive.

The existing unit is mounted vertically in the case. I have replaced the DVD drive with a Blu-ray player on an HP 500-281 PC, where it was mounted horizontally.

Could this same blu-ray player be re-used on the new 550-110?

If not, please suggest a particular type (or brand) of Blu-ray player-drive. I usually look first on Amazon.com for this type of product.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please see this related thread...looks like the same setup.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Pavilion-Desktop-550-153na-re...

Now, if the BR drive you have in your 500-281 is an ultra slim (9.5mm) drive, I imagine you could use that in your new PC.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please see this related thread...looks like the same setup.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Pavilion-Desktop-550-153na-re...

Now, if the BR drive you have in your 500-281 is an ultra slim (9.5mm) drive, I imagine you could use that in your new PC.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick response, just the kind of info I needed.

unfortunately, unless there is an aftermarket product available that is less expensive, it would not be economically feasible.

I am using ths in a home theater application, and wanted to cut down on the number of components used.

It would be easier to get a stand alone blu-ray player from best buy (under $90), and not have to worry about software updates etc. like I do now with Blu-ray drive in the 500-281.(It seems like every time I watch a new movie, the Cyberlink powerDVD software needs to be updated- usually with an upgrade at a cost involved).

I'll look around for aftermarket items, but don't expect much luck.

Is it possible this could be the same type of drive used in laptops? If so, I know there are aftermarket items available.

Please suggest any possible general part descriptions, aside from "9.5 internal blu ray optical drive".

Again thanks for all the help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other recommendations for you.

I guess you can go with an external USB Blue Ray drive.

The notebook PC drives may have a different interface than the desktop drives.

I know the connection interface for my notebook PC DVD drives look nothing like the SATA interfaces for my desktop DVD drives.

I don't know enough about it to give you any suitable alternatives.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I'll probably go with a regular blu-ray/DVD player (standard A/V type component) - less hassle. Can't beat the price.

Thanks Again.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You can always open your new PC's case and check the connections to the DVD drive and see if there are any 9.5mm slim notebook blue ray drives that match the dimensions and can be mounted the same as yours.

This is a typical new style HP notebook blue ray drive.  I noticed the connection in the back would be the same as what is on a desktop PC.  Just a standard sata power and data connection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-5mm-BD-ROM-Blu-ray-Player-DVD-Burner-Drive-UJ162-For-HP-ProBook-450-455-G1...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.