Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion h8-1020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Have this comp but it was time to upgrade the video card. I figured the i7 was good enough for average gaming and had an old nvidia 650 (I believe) and the comp ran great. But I recently purchased a gtx 970 and a new power supply and computer won't get past the motherboard log in screen ... Switching the old card back in everything works fine and I'm getting a bit flustered about the whole thing... Any ideas?

Ps I also tryed my sons nvidia 750 ti and it still won't go past the motherboard load in screen
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Scottperkins, welcome to the forum.

The problem that you are experiencing is caused by the fact that the GTX 970 requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard/Legacy BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  The BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.  The last cards not to require UEFI were the GTX 660/670's.

The GTX 750Ti requires UEFI, also.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Scottperkins, welcome to the forum.

The problem that you are experiencing is caused by the fact that the GTX 970 requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard/Legacy BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  The BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.  The last cards not to require UEFI were the GTX 660/670's.

The GTX 750Ti requires UEFI, also.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended
Well it's bad news but thanks so much for the swift response
HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Scottperkins.  I am sorry that I didn't have better news for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.