Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello all. I can get a z240 used for 200 bucks Canadian. I will need too get another stick of ram and ssd and video card . Will a nvme ssd work. Also what video card and brand will work? I'm wanting a good card for newer games. I don't have a high end monitor. It's only 1280*1024. Also if I wanted too upgrade this PC. Would a new motherboard fit in this case and I would need a better psu?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

It depends on the model, as there are many different configurations available.  Assuming there is a reason but it you are going to changed the motherboard and graphics options and maybe the power supply, it would seem to be more advantageous to just build what you want from regular over the counter parts rather than going thru all that and using the old case.

Many of the z240 workstations use a XEON E5-1603V3 CPU, which is mainly for a workstation and not gaming.  Is that the CPU in the ones you are looking at?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

It's a i7 6700. I was going to upgrade it in a few years. Just wanted too know if a new motherboard would fit in the case 

HP Recommended

what gpu will work in this pc with the defualt 400 watt psu

HP Recommended

On this question, it requires the model number of the Z240 workstation, as there are many configurations and case sizes to consider.

If the case is a SFF, card size will matter, too.

I did some checking on EBay.  Here is a sample unit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165897681140?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1PrNakWHIThq8_UNlf-0dBg...

In this model, which could represent the one you are considering, it has ample space and it appears to have two PCIx16 slots.

In other reports, a GeForce 1050 Ti  should work.

I am going to tag  @NonSequitur777

He has experience in these type of matters.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Yes it's a tower unit

HP Recommended

hello . thanks for the responds. i was wondering if i could replace the motherboard to a newer one for windows 11 support? not going to do it now. maybe end of next year. will it fit in the case or do i need a new case?

HP Recommended

Considering what these units are and the questions, I would consider making a PC from over the counter parts that fit your budget and desires verses trying to modify an existing PC into something completely different than it is.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.