Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 25L Desktop GT11-1xxx
Microsoft Windows 11

Hey i got a computer a while back and now it is kinda out dated so i decided to see if i could maybe upgrade it. But the only problem i have rn is that I dont know what motherboard i have it only says like hp 8876 and i cant find the motherboard. Someone please help me i just wanna know what parts i can buy for my pc so i can upgrade it my pc model is OMEN 25L Desktop GT11-1xxx

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Just wanted to give you a "heads up" about an additional cost of doing this.  The Windows Product Key is embedded into the firmware of the motherboard and is tied to it.  When you replace the motherboard, you are essentially throwing away the OEM license -- and HP will not provide you, or sell you, a second license.  So, you will have to go out and buy your own copy of Windows  I don't know what that costs in Sweden, but here in the US, depending on the Windows version, that costs anywhere from $100 USD to $150 USD.

Also, any Windows version you download to install is NOT going to have the custom HP drivers.  This is not so much a problem in desktops as it is in laptops, but nonetheless, you should research how to back off the current drivers to a USB stick so you can restore them after installing a new version of Windows.  This will be needed because you can't use a Retail license with the HP OEM version.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.