Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 25L Gaming Desktop PC GT15-0000i (3Y5U7AV)

So I was looking to upgrade RAM memory to 32 gigs(adding another 2x8gig)....but after researching, it seems you have to buy the official HP RAM which HP no longer sells....if you put in almost identical Kingston Fury memory from other distributors, the RAM won' t work correctly with the other stock RAM that came with computer. The memory speed will downclock and not be 3200mhz. This is a sure disappointment and probably would have affected my purchase recently.  Is there another option?  On the website when shopping, it states " upgrade memory with the 2 extra slots".  Why would HP do this?  The only thing I saw was on ebay, 1 8gig official HP memory stick for 79.00 dollars....for 1 stick?  I had ordered 2 sticks of Kingston Fury ram from newegg for 50 bucks but cancelled once I found out about the RAM issue.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @jmikkelson 

Putting in "almost identical" memory is likely to cause unexpected results. A difference in the part number likely means that the voltage setting or primary or secondary timings are not the same.

No one want to install a second " "almost identical" memory module and discover that only one module is recognized  by the BIOS or that the PC won't boot to Windows.

If you want to install identical memory to add to the already install module you can use CPU-Z to find out what the Kingston memory part number is.

That Kingston Memory part number is what you should use as a keyword in a search engine to try to find some for sale.

If you are able to find an identical module, put it in the second slot in the direction away from the processor.

If you are unable to find an absolutely identical memory module, then remove the original module and use a pair of guaranteed compatible memory modules to upgrade.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The problem is the specific RAM I need is no longer available.  My point is I just bought a brand new system and cannot upgrade.  I know I can buy brand new modules and install but HP really messed up with this particular proprietary installed RAM.  I guess that’s why there was such a good sale on this model, they’re clearing it out.

HP Recommended

What is the part number?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

HP37D4U1S8ME-8XR....I found some on Ebay but rather expensive in comparison to the non HP Hyper x modules.  About the same price if I were to just get 2 16 gig non HP sticks rather than the 2x 8gig exact ones on Ebay.  Might just hold off for a while.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.