Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z238 Microtower Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I wanted to ask if I can put a GTX 1650 graphic card in my PC using existing PSU unit(280W).

My specs are:

HP Z238 Microtower Workstation.

CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz

24GB ddr4 dimm ram

500 gb SATA SSD

some other things like 4 USB ports,audio, and mic ports.

Existing Power Supply - 280-watt PSU.

If not, is it possible to upgrade my PSU so that I can put a graphic card on my PC and not worry that my current PSU will die any second. 

I have done my research too much on the internet but still not able to get proper answer for the same.

i would appreciate if i can get a better answer from you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Ishan15,

Welcome to our HP community forum!

No worries, you can confidently power a GTX 1650 (75-watt TDP) in your HP Z238 MT, no problem.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your response!

Hey sorry, but i bought this card:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/inno3d-gtx-1650-super-twin-x2-oc.b7449
Can it still work with my existing PSU? Which is already factory-fitted In my system?? (280 Watt)

Eagerly waiting for your response!!

HP Recommended

@Ishan15,

It may work, but you are going to cut it real (perhaps too) close, in my opinion.

Given the GTX 1650 Super 100-watt TDP and your E3-1225 v5 80-watt TDP, plus the other computer components, there's not going to be a lot left of the available wattage provided by your 280-watt power supply, which is listed as "85% energy efficient", which gives you only 238-watt to play with...

In addition, you'll need a dual SATA 15-pin to PCIe 6-pin power cable adapter to power a GTX 1650 Super: 

NonSequitur777_0-1711564453624.png

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.