Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY 750-129cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi There,

Just purchased an Awesome HP Envy 750-129cb computer - and the internal DVD/CD Rewritable Drive is not opening, when the button is pushed (after opening the silver case - externally)

HP DVD/CD Rewritable Drive

Module # DV-8465H, Feb 2016

Came with the computer

I have opened computer, and checked all cables etc., everything looks good - but the DVD is not opening.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi There,

Thank you so much for the help - I really appreciate it.

So, I had purchased a New graphic card - GTX Genforce 750 ti graphic card, as my old HP Elite had a AMD Radeon 6700, so I was trying to get one equivalent to it for my New HP Envy, since the AMD card wasn't compatible with the motherboard.

The "tech guy" said it would make about a 25% difference - the NEW GTX graphic card, than what came with the HP Envy 730 GT card - and especially good for photos.

But, please let me know your thoughts. Do you think it is worth-wile putting this card in? Maybe I would be better to return the card and put it towards a new laptop, since both of my laptops died to.

Thanks again, full details would be really nice 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Open Explorer.

Select "Computer".

Right click on the CD/DVD Rom Drive and select "Eject".

Let me know if the tray responds.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Hey, Thanks for the reply.

Very strange though - On Windows 10 HOME - 64 bit,

When I got to Explorer  - I don't see any relation to the DVD drive.

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

The last place to look, I don't think it will appear there also, is "Control Panel",  "Administrative Tools",  "Computer Management", "Disk Management".

The optical drive is bad or reseat/try different SATA and power cables.

Did you check the SATA cable connection on the motherboard? Try a different , open motherboard SATA port.

You're good to go if a different SATA cable works.

Exchange, return the PC if a different power connection or a different motherboard SATA port works. I would also not be happy if the optical drive is bad.

This indicates a hardware problem. Not an optimal experience for a brand new PC.

Jay

HP Recommended

HI There,

Thank you for the help. Yes, after much thought, I phoned HP and unfortunately because this is such a new machine - they didn't have any DVD replacement / new drives in yet.. so I returned it to the store, and received a Brand-New HP Envy again. Just set everything up; and sure enough everything, including the Ultra Slim 3 DVD drive works. Awesome news.

I would like to put in my NEW Nvidia GTX 750 ti Graphic card, and wonder if this makes any difference to the DVD drive?

BEst Regards.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The card will not impact the DVD drive.

Make sure it fits and you have adequate power to run the card.

You will probably have to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot in the BIOS before installing the card.

It is also wise to remove existing graphics drivers using Control Panel, Programs and Features before installing the new card.

Jay

HP Recommended

Hi There,

Thank you so much for the help - I really appreciate it.

So, I had purchased a New graphic card - GTX Genforce 750 ti graphic card, as my old HP Elite had a AMD Radeon 6700, so I was trying to get one equivalent to it for my New HP Envy, since the AMD card wasn't compatible with the motherboard.

The "tech guy" said it would make about a 25% difference - the NEW GTX graphic card, than what came with the HP Envy 730 GT card - and especially good for photos.

But, please let me know your thoughts. Do you think it is worth-wile putting this card in? Maybe I would be better to return the card and put it towards a new laptop, since both of my laptops died to.

Thanks again, full details would be really nice 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.