Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L Desktop PC GT13-1000a (207P6AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I have this PC.

I have upgraded RAM using a 2x 16GB sticks with same latency from Kingston Fury, which look exactly the same with RGB etc (3200MHZ) and that works fine. HP has serviced it with the new RAM and fixed a problem under warranty as that was considered a reasonable upgrade but one agent tried to say otherwise.

I have tried to upgrade the storage. Someone has posted here that there are 2x M.2 Gen 3 slots, which is not true. The primary slot is Gen 4 I believe as I have upgraded to a Gen 4 SSD, WD Black SN770 2TB, on the 2nd slot. It has failed twice. The HP technical suport agent believes it may be because of this and has stated that the primary M.2 slot is Gen 4 and the secondary one is Gen 3 to me... I will attempt to swap the M.2 drives to the appropriate slot for their speed and hope this will rectify the issue. As it should automatically boot from the Windows drive even on the secondary slot, just plug and play, perhaps change boot order in Bios. Is this a common issue?

I want to upgrade the CPU on the PC now as it would be CPU throttled on a popular current title such as Helldivers 2 at 4k with the 3070 Ti GPU that comes with the system. I have seen this page which a list of processor that I can upgrade to: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4853259-4853773-16 I want to know if the Ryzen 7 5800X3D and considered a reasonable upgrade for this PC? I have read this would be the best pairing for the GPU for this title. Only the Ryzen 7 5800X is listed but AMD released a newer CPU since I bought this PC. I also need to know how I would cool a 105W TDP CPU in this case as it is slightly too small for the smallest tower CPU cooler? The stock cooler is perhaps at its limit for 65W TDP as it can get hot.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@UncouthUser,

Welcome to our HP community forum!

I come with glad tidings. As it is, your OMEN 30L Desktop PC GT13-1xxx as fitted with a Hana motherboard (SSID: 8876) happens to be compatible with the Ryzen 7 5800X3D gaming processor, (8-Cores, 16-Threads, 3.40 GHz up to 4.50 GHz, 105-watt TDP) thanks to some bold Users, such as this one: HP OMEN 30L Desktop GT13-1xxx Performance Results - UserBenchmark:

NonSequitur777_0-1715550195703.png

And yes, please get rid of the 65-watt rated stock CPU heatsink, and replace it with something far superior, such as the (discounted) DeepCool AK620 CPU Air Cooler High-Performance: Amazon.com: DeepCool AK620 CPU Air Cooler High-Performance 260w TDP 6 Copper Heat Pipes Dual-Tower C..., or this one: Amazon.com: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler, 6 Heat Pipes AGHP Technology, Dual 120....

Look around -you'll have to make some measurements in your PC to make sure a heatsink/cooler combo like these ones fit in your case.

Whatever you do, I would strongly recommend a two-fan heatsink rated at 120-watt+ TDP.

Here is a useful YouTube instructional video: Noctua Cooler Upgrade OMEN 30L Gaming Desktop PC GT13 with AMD CPU (youtube.com).  The issue I have with regard to this particular Noctua cooler is best communicated by one of its Amazon customers, quote:

NonSequitur777_1-1715550883392.png

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hey @NonSequitur777,

Thanks for the info. I had already looked into the Noctua cooling solution as that seems to be the one recommended by the internet from the information I have seen, unfortunately, I want to just upgrade it within the parameters of the Warranty as it was sold as. I need a cooler that will not require such a modification.

HP Recommended

@UncouthUser,

What do you mean by: "I want to just upgrade it within the parameters of the Warranty as it was sold as. I need a cooler that will not require such a modification"?

Since the Ryzen 7 5800X3D you are interested in has an acceptable TDP: "TDP: Up to 105 W", and once you replace your current processor, replacing your current heatsink/cooler with a more capable heatsink/cooler does not seem to me outside any warranty parameters. And what modification are you referring to? -Btw, if I hadn't made that clear, I am not recommending the Noctua cooler option.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

I meant the process of having to remove the glued on backplate by removing the motherboard, usually you wouldn't have to do that for an aircooler as you can install it in situ via access panel at the back. I was wondering if there is an option that I can attach to the current backplate? HP broke by motherboard doing a remote access Bios upgrade and it had to be replaced. Also the profile of the air cooler tower may make it difficult to install as there are cooling fins and RAM all around the CPU. I would agree about the Warranty as well as HP agents have discussed the HP AIO watercooler option as an upgrade that would be ok but I'm not sure how that would be installed into the case.

HP Recommended

@UncouthUser,

Thank you for the clarification -I understand.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.