Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
P6300UK
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

Just bought a Phenom II X4 945 95W Cpu as I had learned from multiple sources that it is compatible with this mobo, however upon installing the cpu I got the "Unsupprted CPU installed" message.

My board has bios 5.17 and I am thinking it may be due to that, but I'm not sure where to go from here?

Any help would be greatly apprciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

From what I have seen on other forums - boards ( not HP site ) the 945 will run just fine with the 5.17 BIOS.  It just pops up with the "Unsupported CPU installed" CPU warning.  It supposedly is identified by Windows and runs OK.  So IMHO forget about the popup and enjoy.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

That CPU seems to meet the critial for the support page.  HERE IS A NEWER BIOS thread.  It might not help, you might get the same install error.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip, however I am afraid I've already tried installing the 6.14 bios update, which apparently wont work because you cannot update from a 5.xx bios to a 6.xx bios on this board from what I've read. All I got both times I tried were Your motherboard does not support this update messages.

I'm wondering whether getting the higher revision 5.xx bios updates may help? But I have been unable to find any as of yet.

But again, thank you for the ideas.

HP Recommended

From what I have seen on other forums - boards ( not HP site ) the 945 will run just fine with the 5.17 BIOS.  It just pops up with the "Unsupported CPU installed" CPU warning.  It supposedly is identified by Windows and runs OK.  So IMHO forget about the popup and enjoy.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Tried installing the CPU again and got the same message swiftly followed by the system powering itself down a few seconds later.

However I decided to try again and access the bios when the message popped up, so I pressed F2 and the system decided to post and then boot into windows where thanks to HWMonitor I've just confirmed that the CPU is functioning corectly.

So thanks Old Man, as I probably would have carried on going around in circles without your advice.

HP Recommended

I am glad you posted back with a success.  Great to have helped.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.