Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have an HP h8-1080t desktop tower and it has a pegatron 2a86 motherboard. It comes with Realtek 1gb ethernet and I was able to get another realtek 2.5gb ethernet installed via PCIe slot and system see it but the system will not go past 1gb for speed test. I wonder if it is due to motherboard limitation. Any idea? I disabled everything in properties for the 2.5gb but no luck.

Advanced EEE - disabled
ARP offload - disabled
EEE Max Support Speed - 2.5gbps full duplex
Energy-Efficient Ethernet - disabled
Flow control - RX and TX disabled
Gigabit Lite - disabled
Green Ethernet - disabled
Interrupt Moderation - disabled
IPv4 Checksum Offload - RX and TX disabled
Jumbo Frame - disabled
Large Send offload v2 (IPv4) - disabled
Large Send offload v2 (IPv6) - disabled
NS offload - disabled
Power Saving Mode - disabled
Priority and Vlan - disabled
Receive Buffers - 512
Receive Side Scaling - disabled
Shutdown Wake-On-Lan - disabled
Speed and Duplex - 2.5gbps Full Duplex
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - RX and TX disabled
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6) - RX and TX disabled
Transmit Buffers - 512
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - RX and TX disabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6) - RX and TX disabled
VLAN ID - 0
Wake on Magic Packet - disabled
Wake on Pattern Match - disabled
WOL and Shutdown Link Speed - Not Speed Down

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @jpj1 

My pleasure.

Yes, it looks you have a MB problem (hardware).

My problem is: I don't have a Fiber connection. I am limited to less than 1000 Mbps.

I've also have some older hardware on my network which will choke data transfers.

Adding this as an after thought: There are so many variable involved when measuring Internet speed.

This situation (measuring data throughput) reminds me of the paradox encountered by physicists when determining if photons are waves or particles.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @jpj1 

Welcome back.

Internet data throughput via your modem would be limited to your Internet Service Provider agreement.

I would also think local network traffic would be limited by your router or other devices connected to your local network.

It would not be possible to move data on either network at up to 2.5 Gbps if you have a hardware bottleneck.

I have a couple of PCs with 2.5 Gbps ethernet adapters. I get ISP download speeds at up to 950 Mbps on good days.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the comments.

Just to add some additional information, my router/modem is nokia ONT-XS2426 and when I do the speed test within the nokia app, I get 2.5gb. So, I know it is getting 2.5gb fiber speed.

However, when I do the speed test on my PC via speedtest.net, I always get less than 1gb. (900mbs etc)..

I got the realtek RTL8125B (2.5g base T PCIe network card) and it fit fine on the PCIe slot within the motherboard and when I go to network settings, I see it is functioning fine and I see it has latest drivers and it is showing 2.5gb for the speed. Only drawback is the speed when testing will never go past 1gb..

I highly suspect it is the motherboard limiting me to 1gb.. It has a realtek 1gb ethernet already and I disabled it so that it wouldn't interfere. In the end, the PC is too old to handle anything past 1gb...

HP Recommended

Hi @jpj1 

My pleasure.

Yes, it looks you have a MB problem (hardware).

My problem is: I don't have a Fiber connection. I am limited to less than 1000 Mbps.

I've also have some older hardware on my network which will choke data transfers.

Adding this as an after thought: There are so many variable involved when measuring Internet speed.

This situation (measuring data throughput) reminds me of the paradox encountered by physicists when determining if photons are waves or particles.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks again.. Yeah, the mouth is ready for all the food in the world (2.5gb) but the motherboard (stomach) is very tiny so it can only take a fraction at a time (1gb). 🙂

Currently there is a push to get fiber everywhere so hopefully it will happen in your area. We just got it and it has been 20 years..

HP Recommended

hi @jpj1 

My pleasure.

I'm hoping for Fiber as soon as possible.

Cable internet isn't that bad. I can download a Windows .ISO in about 3minutes.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.