Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 550-174nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded my PC with a more powerful PSU (Corsair CX500M) and a new graphics card (MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6G OC).

Now having an issue connecting the DVD-drive to the PSU and main board.

The connector of the DVD-drive looks like the connector that comes with a DVD-drive you find in notebooks.

The PSU has no connection for this kind of DVD-drive.

Can someone please advice me on which adapter/part exactly I should order to connect the DVD-drive (URL maybe?) ?

Many thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TimePieces,

Look at the cable into the DVD drive . Is it this ?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

HERE IS THE MANUAL for that device.  Page 13 starts the DVD/CD drive. Figure 8 indicates what appears to be normal connections for SATA and power.  Is the one in question different from that picture?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@TimePieces,

Look at the cable into the DVD drive . Is it this ?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
I will post a picture of the DVD-drive connector this evening when home from work. And a picture of the cable connector that went in originally.
HP Recommended

Hi TheOldMan and wb2001. Guess I indeed need something like this:

cable.png

where the big connector goes to the PSU and the small one to the DVD Drive.

This is what the back of the DVD-drive looks like:

20170218_104945-back DDVD.jpg

The connection on mainboard side has 2 exits, 1 goes to the right (larger) connection of the DVD-drive. The other one is attached to the PC chassis (grounding):

20170218_110100 inside PC.jpg

This is the original HP PSU, this smaller connector was connected to the left smaller connection of the DVD drive:

20170218_105903 original power PSU.jpg

So I guess I only need something to get the DVD-powered, because data connection should be ok because it is already connected to the mainboard.

Am I right?

HP Recommended

I'm going to by this and hope it works.

Sata power to slimline sata power adapter.jpg

HP Recommended

If you are using a conventional desktop power supply and the SATA cable to the motherboard is a regular SATA connector on the motherboard, it looks as though this would solve the problem

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-6-Inch-Slimline-Adapter-SLSATAADAP6/dp/B009JXKQ9O/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_...

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi TheOldMan, I'll stick with the adapter I posted earlier. I only need the connection from the slim sata connection on the DVD-drive to the standard SATA connection that comes from the PSU.

Many thanks for your help and support!

HP Recommended

@TimePieces,

You are correct, that is all you actually need.  Can you please send the link to that adapter.  It looks cleaner in style than what I did link, but the functionality is the same.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.