Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

You can order W8 recovery media from HP at the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/HP-Pavilion-g7-2200-Notebook-PC-series/5296086/model/5309540/...

Or you can download this plain W8 OEM ISO file below and try that.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0W9PBigPy94aVJWSndyTFNFMzg/edit?pli=1

Use this tool to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive.  The tool will also make either media bootable.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Paulie!!

How are you??

I've been busy working on old machines and postponed upgrading my HPE-112Y. I would normally PM but can't find the option on this forum.

Anyway, do you think It's worth putting in new gfx, upgrading the CPU & dbling the RAM or saving to build a new machine (which usually takes me a yr)? Should I bump an old thread to ask you?? You get any cold weather yet? How's the fam? Okay! Take Care!

-AJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Johnny:

We're doing great, and I hope you are too.

Yes, the cold weather has decended upon us here in the St. Louis area, and I don't like it already!

Fortunately, no snow yet, but no doubt, that's coming soon.

Your PC...

I looked up the specs, and that see it comes with an AMD Radeon HD 4350 and 8 GB of memory, correct?

So you can upgrade the video card, and according to the specs, double the memory to 4 x 4 GB.

How is the memory configured in the PC now?  It has 8 GB.  Is it 4 x 2 GB, or is it 2 x 4 GB with two empty memory slots?

It's kind of a waste to yank out 4 x 2 GB of memory to replace it with 4 x 4 GB, and a bit expensive as well, unless you have another PC you can use the 2 GB memory modules in.

If you have 2 x 4 GB, then it would be pretty cheap to double up the memory, and I think you will get more pep out of the PC.

If it has 4 x 2 GB, why not take a two-step approach and buy only 2 x 4 GB of memory and see how 12 GB works for you.

Video card...300W P/S, I would go with the Nvidia GT 630 perhaps.

Because it is an older PC, you can't install the latest models out there because the BIOS wouldn't be compatible.

Stay warm, and I wish you all the best for a joyous holiday season!

Paul

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, Johnny:

We're doing great, and I hope you are too.

Yes, the cold weather has decended upon us here in the St. Louis area, and I don't like it already!

Fortunately, no snow yet, but no doubt, that's coming soon.

Your PC...

I looked up the specs, and that see it comes with an AMD Radeon HD 4350 and 8 GB of memory, correct?

So you can upgrade the video card, and according to the specs, double the memory to 4 x 4 GB.

How is the memory configured in the PC now?  It has 8 GB.  Is it 4 x 2 GB, or is it 2 x 4 GB with two empty memory slots?

It's kind of a waste to yank out 4 x 2 GB of memory to replace it with 4 x 4 GB, and a bit expensive as well, unless you have another PC you can use the 2 GB memory modules in.

If you have 2 x 4 GB, then it would be pretty cheap to double up the memory, and I think you will get more pep out of the PC.

If it has 4 x 2 GB, why not take a two-step approach and buy only 2 x 4 GB of memory and see how 12 GB works for you.

Video card...300W P/S, I would go with the Nvidia GT 630 perhaps.

Because it is an older PC, you can't install the latest models out there because the BIOS wouldn't be compatible.

Stay warm, and I wish you all the best for a joyous holiday season!

Paul

HP Recommended
Paul,

You're definitely in for dinner cold weather next year. I had the displeasure of driving from Lincoln, NE to Birmingham, AL in February '02 in a 79 Chrysler LeBaron. Cold, cold, cold. Never again. MO is just a while lot of nothing when you're on the highway, I kept veering from the sleep caused by the monotony. Still, the people are lovely, so, there's that.

The HPE112Y specs as shipped:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Elite-HPE-Desktop-PC-series/4079700/model/4120193/do...

The ram is 4x2 and MB/CPU supports up to 16GB DDR3 1066HZ? (I don't remember the Hz, I just know it won't do the 18xxx)

I swapped out the gfx to a XFX Radeon R5 230 (all I have ATM, so, better than nothing)

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-r5-200-series/amd-radeon-r5-230-core-edition-r5-230a-c...

Peripherals:
32" Panasonic LCD HDTV
GearHead KB3800TPW (aio mini wireless kb w/trackpad)
Dell MOC5UO (basic scroll mouse)

I has it running last night but got careless and changed the Catalyst Control Center setting to 1080p just to see what would happen.... Which was dumb bc the screen went black. Won't change back.

Tried:
Un Installing & ReInstalling Crimson
Un Installing & ReInstalling Catalyst
Running AMD clean uninstall
Removing from Device Manager
Setting driver to defaults after reinstalling.

Still goes back to the 1080p setting when it gets to the log in screen. Will pulling the card help? I've been working on this over five hours, very frustrated. I'll also try posting over on the AMD forums, see if they know anything. I know the beta Crimson works because I was playing Marvel Heroes 2016 before I changed the settings.

Thanks for your help and hope your holidays are awesome! I wish you many ugly sweaters as gifts, haha.

-Johnny 5
HP Recommended

Hi, Johnny:

Did you try running the system restore utility and select a restore point to a time before you changed the display setting?

Maybe that will work, and it would be the only suggestion I can offer, other than to uninstall the R5 graphics card, in the device, manager, check the uninstall driver box, remove the card from the PC let the onboard graphics take over and then reinstall the video card and driver.

Yes, the memory in your PC runs at 1066 MHz, so PC3 10600 memory downclocks to PC-8500 (1066 Mhz).

I retired from the U. S. Coast Guard many years ago, and I have a friend (Master Chief Petty Officer), who told me how he was going to find a place to retire...

He was going to take a snow shovel along with him and drive south, and everytime he stopped for gas, he would show them the snow shovel, and ask them what it was.  If they knew what it was, he would keep driving south until such a time he showed someone the snow shovel, and they had no idea what it was.  He told me that's where I plan to retire!

Take care, Johnny 5, and let me know if you get the problem resolved.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi, Johnny:

Did you try running the system restore utility and select a restore point to a time before you changed the display setting?

Maybe that will work, and it would be the only suggestion I can offer, other than to uninstall the R5 graphics card, in the device, manager, check the uninstall driver box, remove the card from the PC let the onboard graphics take over and then reinstall the video card and driver.

Yes, the memory in your PC runs at 1066 MHz, so PC3 10600 memory downclocks to PC-8500 (1066 Mhz).

I retired from the U. S. Coast Guard many years ago, and I have a friend (Master Chief Petty Officer), who told me how he was going to find a place to retire...

He was going to take a snow shovel along with him and drive south, and everytime he stopped for gas, he would show them the snow shovel, and ask them what it was.  If they knew what it was, he would keep driving south until such a time he showed someone the snow shovel, and they had no idea what it was.  He told me that's where I plan to retire!

Take care, Johnny 5, and let me know if you get the problem resolved.

Paulie!! Sup dawg??

Snow shovel! I've heard that one before, but it still kills me! ha.

So I spent (wasted??) my weekend troubleshooting the card/driver/system issues. Thankfully, when I bought the card, I registered it with XFX because I was/am greedy and they were handing out "B" tier game title licenses. So I dug out my XFX support login from over a year ago from Google's password manager (gotta love that Cloud, baby!) and opened a support ticket. And you'll never guess who they sent to help me.......his name is Paul.....nice, huh?

Screenshot (6).png

So we'll see what happens, I guess worst case scenario.....I get a refurb'd ard? God I hope it's not refurb'd....or do I? Some ppl say refub'd is better b/c it means somebody *actually* tested it, but other people think refurb is "trash" because, "it's like trying to tape a wet paper bag back together".

Either way, at least I don't have eat it (the cost).

Honestly, I'd be happy if it just works as is. 

Notes: XFX Support, even though contact info is all over included docs, is still incredibly difficult to find., you haave to email them a pic of proof of purchase, create an account, verify your email and their customer site look like when you use the employee bathroom at a factory. Nott terrible, but not meant for gen pop.

You get any gifts yet? What did you get last year??

JOHNNY 5, OUT!!!  (i've recently had processed sugar...sorry)

HP Recommended

I hope they will fix the problem for you.

I have heard both good and bad regarding refurbed items.

On the good side, sometimes folks return perfectly good items because they decided they didn't like the item, or they were technologically challenged and couldn't figure out how to get the thing to work.

On the bad side, the item is actually defective, is returned, and they just box it up again, and sell it to some other unsuspecting person, hoping to never see it darken their door again.

I have yet to do any Christmas shopping.  I will do that this week (I hope).

I got some flannel shirts and some other nice stuff I don't recall specifically.

I remember the flannel shirts because I need them this time of year!

Have a great week!

Paul(ie).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.