Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
h8-1100es
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My old graphics card stop working (NVIDIA GT 530). Bought a new graphics card (NVIDIA GTX 1050) the computer starts up and brings me to the blue screen with the hp logo that says "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu"

I've tried pushing the ESC key like it says but it just brings me to a black screen. The monitor is still on and everything. I've tried booting it up with no USBs in or anything else but nothing works. Pressing F10, F8, F2 also does nothing. Please help, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jesuspillin6,

The actual culprit and problem stems from the original BIOS.

Circa prior to 2011, the Hp 8 series shipped with WIN 7, Legacy BIOS, and no path to UEFI VBIOS.

The GT530 is Legacy BIOS, the GTX 1050 is UEFI.  The last viable GTX is the 660. (Some 670's might work, but do you want to continue to perplex yourself ?).

While some might mention the hybrid BIOS card like the MSI  GTX750Ti (60W), the more powerful GTX 660 is better solution. Be aware the GTX 660 also comes with a power need of an extra 140W).  The PSU would need replacing.  If you buy the GTX 660, please get a Corsair CX600.  Ample power, and an exact fit.

@The_Fossette,

Sorry to jump into this !!

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @jesuspillin6

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you the computer is not booting to windows after replacing the graphics card.

Don’t worry, I’d love to help!

• Have you tried booting to windows without the graphics card?
  • Did the computer boot to windows ever after replacing the graphics card?
  •  

Meanwhile, I recommend you to follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2oFlOWC

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@jesuspillin6,

The actual culprit and problem stems from the original BIOS.

Circa prior to 2011, the Hp 8 series shipped with WIN 7, Legacy BIOS, and no path to UEFI VBIOS.

The GT530 is Legacy BIOS, the GTX 1050 is UEFI.  The last viable GTX is the 660. (Some 670's might work, but do you want to continue to perplex yourself ?).

While some might mention the hybrid BIOS card like the MSI  GTX750Ti (60W), the more powerful GTX 660 is better solution. Be aware the GTX 660 also comes with a power need of an extra 140W).  The PSU would need replacing.  If you buy the GTX 660, please get a Corsair CX600.  Ample power, and an exact fit.

@The_Fossette,

Sorry to jump into this !!

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you. Would a AMD RX 460 work on my PC ?

HP Recommended

@jesuspillin6,

The AMD RX 460 was released 2016, it is UEFI.  It would not work.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.