Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Tower 220Z
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I have a HP 220Z desktop workstation.  There are six USB 2.0 ports and four USB 3.0 ports.  None of the USB 3.0 ports are functioning.  I plug in a device (a WDC passport which cam with a USB 3 cable) to any of the four USB 3.0 ports.  It lights up, but the system doesn't recognize it or assign a drive letter.  I looked at DISK MANAGEMENT and didn't see the drive there at all.  Can this possiblly be solved by downloading drivers?  Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

It's possible.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to install the USB3 driver directly from Intel.

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the link below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21129/USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Control...

HP Recommended
How about the chipset?
HP Recommended

That might also help, as I found this note on the driver tab...Fixes issues on USB controller devices.  

This package provides the Intel Chipset Drivers for select Workstation models and operating systems.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75501-76000/sp75814.exe

HP Recommended
Thank you Paul. I appreciate your help.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Did those drivers get the USB 3 ports to work?

HP Recommended
I haven't tried it yet because I'm running a system back up. However I will try to soon as it is done and report back to you. Once again I thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated!
HP Recommended
Hi Paul:

Well, neither your drivers or the drivers I downloaded successfully brought back the USB 3 ports.

It's all odd though. When I power up the machine with a USB plug into the USB 3 port it tries to build from that USB. But it does not recognize the port in windows explorer. I tried going to manage disks and see if I could get a drive letter assigned to it but it doesn't show up on the list.

It's probably an easy fix that I don't know, but I decided to just spend 20 bucks and buy a USB 3 expansion card. If You have another idea let me know. Thanks again so much for all your help.

Alan
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Alan.

It's baffling to me.

I have no idea why the ports aren't working.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to clear the CMOS, which sets the BIOS back to its defaults, and the PC 'relearns' all of the hardware.

See page Chapter 5, 155 of the service manual for the steps to clear the CMOS.

HP Recommended
Hi Paul:

I like my idea better. Purchasing and installing a USB 3.0 card. I did go ahead and purchase the back up and restore software from paragon. Very nice!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.