Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Victus by HP 15L Gaming Desktop PC TG02-0000a (4H508AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I want to upgrade the CPU cooler to a Noctua, but the mounting holes are not the same. Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @benni-fr05 

My pleasure.

It appears HP uses the Intel CPU cooler mounting system on all HP MBs.

I haven't encountered any CPU cooler upgrades on a HP MB using Intel socket 1700 in this Forum. I don't know if HP has modified the mounting system on an Intel socket 1700 MB. 

Asus uses a modified CPU socket mounting system on some of their socket 1700 MBs to allow backwards compatibility with socket 1200/115x CPU heatsinks and cold plates.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HI @benni-fr05 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

The TG02-0000a MB has an AMD CPU but HP has used a square Intel CPU heatsink MB mounting system. AMD uses a rectangular MB mounting layout for AMD CPU heatsinks.

So, if the Noctua cooler fits in your case and works with the MB otherwise, you may have to install the Noctua provided Intel MB backplate to use the Noctua heatsink. You might have to remove the MB from the case to do this.

But, check this YouTube video showing a Noctua cooler install using Intel brackets on an AMD MB in a HP case very similar to your PC's case. You need to buy additional screws to secure the Noctua heatsink to the MB.

Check the "More" section at the above video for an Amazon link to the screws.

I don't know if you will encounter any other roadblocks to get this done. I have never worked on this PC.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your response!

Do you know if this is true for all models of motherboard? So, which mounting mechanisms does HP use for 1700 boards?

Best,

Benni

HP Recommended

Hi @benni-fr05 

My pleasure.

It appears HP uses the Intel CPU cooler mounting system on all HP MBs.

I haven't encountered any CPU cooler upgrades on a HP MB using Intel socket 1700 in this Forum. I don't know if HP has modified the mounting system on an Intel socket 1700 MB. 

Asus uses a modified CPU socket mounting system on some of their socket 1700 MBs to allow backwards compatibility with socket 1200/115x CPU heatsinks and cold plates.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.