Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
p6-2285eo
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello.  My friend has a p6-2285eo desktop. It works fine and all. However, he would like to upgrade his gpu, since the GT 640 is detremental to his performance in games.  Hence I sold him my old R9 280X (XFX model). And I got him a new power supply, an Antec 700w (80 plus bronze certified).  But for some reason his motherboard (Hp Pavilion 670960-001) will not work with his new gpu. Everything but the gpu turns on.

Do you have any ideas about what is wrong?

-Sumsar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The AMD R9 280X is an UEFI enabled graphics card. Windows 7 will typically not run in UEFI mode unless you take special steps during installation and also if the BIOS has a compatibility support module (CSM) that will allow Windows 7 be be supported as an "other" OS type so that UEFI can be enabled for the W7 installation. This is not a straight forward process.

I suggest that you try a NVIDIA GTX 660.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

The AMD R9 280X is an UEFI enabled graphics card. Windows 7 will typically not run in UEFI mode unless you take special steps during installation and also if the BIOS has a compatibility support module (CSM) that will allow Windows 7 be be supported as an "other" OS type so that UEFI can be enabled for the W7 installation. This is not a straight forward process.

I suggest that you try a NVIDIA GTX 660.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.