Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

while i applaud your modding, why not go for elite modding status and look into fabricating a top case cover that extends the top cover by the necessary hight distance so the cpu cooler and possibly your ext gpu/pwr supply fits inside the extended case?

or cut the existing case up and save the front and rear sections and transplant them into a larger enclosure

HP Recommended

@DGroves,

My friend, I considered this.

The main obstacle remains the proprietary (non-ATX standard) HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF motherboard design which necessitates two separate power supplies to make this upgrade project work. In addition, the way its I/O ports and motherboard mounts are located make it challenging to swap it into a standard gaming case.

My HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF modding was/is intended to create a functional (OK, I grant you that some would call it a Frankensteinian) hyper-performance legacy HP desktop proof of concept system.

And, to be modest, I am fairly confident that I succeeded on all accounts. 😜

As it is, this HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF Upgrade is working just fine gaming-wise and whatever else I have chosen to throw at it up to this point in time.

Elite modding status?  Well, I would consider transferring the processor, drives, RAM etc. to a quality Z390 gaming motherboard, such as an ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA1151 gaming motherboard in a full-tower gaming case.

But I digress.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

How did you get the 9900k to boost above base frequency. Mine only ran 3.6ghz. Have different cooler so it's not the issue. Just doesn't boost at all. Also tried 8700k, same issue no boost clocks.

HP Recommended

@KAHBOOM,

In order to assist you, I need to know a little bit more about your system:

Assuming you got an HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF:

1.) Power supply (p/n, wattage)

2.) What graphics card, if any -internally fitted, or externally, if externally what secondary power supply is used

3.) Windows version, including OS Build, and BIOS version

4.) RAM (brand, model/part number, capacity)

5.) did you install/connect a secondary cooling fan ("CHFAN2")

6.) IMPLEMENT the Windows optimizing steps outlined here: 🔧 How to Optimize Windows 10 For GAMING & Performance in 2019 The Ultimate Updated GUIDE - YouTube (applies to W11 just the same)

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Intel Core i7 8700K @ 4287.4 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR (x86.fr) Also running 400w internal psu, has single pcie power connector, will end up upgrading to that 500w psu if it fits in the case. Scythe Big Shuriken 3 cpu cooler, second cpu fan is a 92mm slim fan with a speed reducer turned at an angle leaning against the gpu to help give it some more air. Sucks as there is no option to set the ram speed 

HP Recommended

Just noticed it says it's running 4.3ghz, 🤔, shrugs. Anyways purchased that timetech ram which should be here on Friday. Looking for another 9900k or kf, just gave mine to a buddy with my old system. Use this as a HTPC. Want to get a RTX 4060 LP to replace my GTX 1650. 

HP Recommended

@KAHBOOM,

Just a couple of questions: did you enable hyperthreading in BIOS? And it wasn't clear to me in CPU-Z Validator if you got an M.2 NVMe SSD as your primary (boot) drive.  If not, that would be something you want to consider.

Yes, the 500-watt SFF power supply (p/n: L77487-003) fits perfectly inside the HP EliteDesk 800 G4/5 SFF case.

I also fitted an i7-8700K in an earlier upgrade (HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF): Solved: Upgrading HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF - HP Support Community - 8523990.

And yes, a GigaByte RTX 4060 LP OC 8GB GDDR6 would be a great graphics card choice: GIGABYTE RTX 4060 Low Profile OC Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Yeah I ordered a 1TB Crucial Nvme Gen 4 SSD. So it's coming. Canceled the timetech ram order and swapped it for crucial 32gb 4x8 3200mhz kit. So hopefully it runs the 2666mhz like it says it would. Tried the Silicone Power 3200mhz ram and it only did 2400mhz and it shattered in games. Originally had a 9900k on the G5 but benchmarks would score a few percent better the the 8700k. So got rid of it. Put this on hold for awhile since it's not my main PC. Like to tinker on this thing every now and then. 

HP Recommended

Hyperthreading is on. Had to enable virtualization settings to get it to run right. Do you use allow PCIe serr in bios? Or is it a bad thing for performance?

HP Recommended

@KAHBOOM,

My understanding is that enabling SERR is bad for performance.

PCIe SERR stands for "PCI Express System Error Reporting". It's a feature related to error handling and reporting for PCI Express (PCIe) devices in the system. When PCIe SERR is enabled, it can generate a lot of error messages, especially in systems with multiple PCIe devices, and not all errors may be critical. Therefore, it's typically only used in troubleshooting scenarios or by experienced users who need detailed information about system/PCIe-related errors.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.