Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@NonSequitur777

Hello,

I've seen your dual PSU system and it got me curious how far I could push the single 500W PSU.

I've tracked the peak power draw of my i9 9900k and RTX 3060 12GB at 110W and 175W respectively under full load. My first question is whether my CPU is running at peak performance with 110W, I read somewhere the CPU can peak around 165W, although this is probably on an overclockable motherboard.

My second question is what GPU do you think I could upgrade to and stay within the 500W confines of the PSU?

The GPU does not need to fit inside as I am thinking of using a riser cable.

My system is an Elitedesk 800 G5 SFF.

PSU - 500W - L77487-003

CPU - i9 9900k

GPU - RTX 3060 12GB

RAM - Crucial 32GB 2666 CP2K16G4DFRA32A

SSD - Crucial gen 3 1TB + Crucial gen 3 2TB

Cooling - ID-COOLING SE-207-XT SLIM + USB case intake fan + USB GPU cooling fan + Exhaust fan

Many thanks, Friddle

HP Recommended

@Friddle,

It helps that the 500-watt power supply is a high-quality, high-performance PSU.

All right, brace yourself.

Rather specifically and all things considered, I am 98+% certain that this graphics card would run great -even when its proverbial tail is stepped upon: I would recommend one of these:

ASUS DUAL RTX 4070 12GB GDDR6X
ASUS DUAL RTX 4070 OC 12GB GDDR6X
ZOTAC RTX 4070 Twin Edge 12GB GDDR6X
ZOTAC RTX 4070 Twin Edge OC 12GB GDDR6X

MSI RTX 4070 VENTUS 2X 12GB GDDR6X

MSI RTX 4070 VENTUS 2X OC 12GB GDDR6X

TDPs: 200 watt.

No doubt.  Whatsoever.  These cards only use a single PCIe 8-pin power cable.

For just 30 more TDP usage watts (compared with your RTX 3060, TDP: 170 watt)), you get almost TWICE the graphics power. 

So, I would raid my piggy bank -and my brother's, and my sister's -if I had one, bite the bullet, and get it.  And remember, this card will be transferable to other systems if you so choose in the future.

Linkhttps://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-4070-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3060/4148vs4105.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

can i plug the AMD radeon rx560 on this motherboard ! this is 800 g5 mini 383300839_850177919792761_6525945872644065691_n.jpg

HP Recommended

@tucao,

I am not aware of any HP-proprietary GPU adapters that would allow you to use this graphics card interface. That means very likely not.  No.  And if it was/is possible, I would imagine I would have come across this mod, because I frequently scour the Net to find new upgrade tricks.

Instead, you should get rid of your right M.2 NVMe SSD and your HDMI/DP adapter (see red X's) :

NonSequitur777_0-1695868658490.png

And install an M.2 NVMe to PCIe x4 dock/eGPU adapter cable/dock, such as the one I used for my HP EliteDesk 800 65W G4 DM upgrade project*PCIe 4.0 x4 Riser Cable 64Gbs M.2 Key M for NVMe External Graphics Card Stand Bracket R43SG PCI-E fo...:

How did that work out?  Well, here you go: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 DM 65W (TAA) Performance Results - UserBenchmark.

* Solved: Upgrading an HP EliteDesk 800 65W G4 Desktop Mini (DM) - HP Support Community - 8708671.

PS: You really should consider starting new topics in a new HP discussion thread.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

keep in mind that the nvidia rtx 4xx series is PCI-e 4.0 and if installed in a lower PCI-e bus system the speed will be one third to half the published pci-e 4.0 speeds the pci-e 3 based systems will still run a rtx 4xx series card quite fast and i also agree that if you can afford it that's the way to go as the older 3 series and 2 series are still somewhat overpriced compared to their performance

HP Recommended

@NonSequitur777

Hello,

Would any 4070 card work or must it be a 2 fan card to be below 200W powerdraw?

I saw a 3 fan 4070 with a 6+6 connector which the PSU should physically fit, but im not sure about the power.

Also are there any downsides you know of using PCIe riser cables on HP motherboards?

Many thanks, Friddle

HP Recommended

@Friddle,

Carefully check its TDP.  An additional cooling fan wouldn't add much to the overall TDP. I would imagine that any RTX 4070 would work, I just listed the ones I know are powered by a single 8-pin PCIe power cable, which makes me feel very confident that your 500-watt power supply can power it without any power (-throttling) issues.

There are no drawbacks using a PCIe x16 riser/extension cable/dock, though you probably want to avoid anything longer than 40cm (16 inches).

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF Performance Results - UserBenchmark So far i upgraded the ram, ended up with Silicon Power 3200mhz kit which had a 2666mhz jedec so it works great. Also added Crucial Nvme ssd. Runs hot though. Ordered a new case on ebay for 40 bucks. Was going to measure it out and see if i can fit a 240mm Aio cooler inside, i am pretty sure i can make it work. Also ordered another Nvme ssd and the 500w psu.  Nothing was overclocked benchmarking.  Intel Core i7 8700K @ 4287.4 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR (x86.fr) Highest score R23 8700k HP 800 G5 SFF.PNG

HP Recommended

@KAHBOOM,

Looking good!  Yes, you'll need to increase the airflow through your case by adding one or more cooling fans.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/64589992 disabled specter and meltdown patches and a bunch of regedits also disabled memory isolation. This was as high as i could get the benchmark so far, im impressed with this little computer. This is not my main pc its just for gaming. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.