Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-527c
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Just bought a NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Silver/Black for my HP ENVY ,but the power supply I have in my computer doesn't support this graphics card.So I was wondering if I bought the Corsair - CX Series Modular CX750M 750W ATX Power Supply - Black if it would fit in my computer and function correctly with the graphics card and everything else in the computer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Almost thought you made an error, but you do have BIOS rev 8 because that unit originally shipped with WIN 8. The GTX 970 only draws 145W. The Corsair CX750M is3.39" x 5.91" x 6.30".  That is deep into your case, without connectors.   Do you have that much room between the existing PSu and the DVD connectors?  NVidia recommends a 500W, I would suggest the 600W modular version.   It's depth is 5.51".

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

The Corsair is a great power supply. I was thinking about adding one to an HP 810-150se. I currently have an HP branded 600W power supply and am running a GTX 970 4GB EVGA FTW (with backplate) graphics card with no problems. The Corsair 750W can definitely handle all component power supply needs.

You would have to check the Corsair's dimensions and rear I/O panel mount points against your existing power supply for a match.

The Corsair can be mounted with the fan down or up. That power supply was designed to suck cool air from the bottom of the tower and expel hot air out the back of the case. Space and close proximity to the motherboard will dictate how you install it. You might have a clearance problem with the 24 pin connector with the intake fan facing down. This means the intake fan will be up against the top of the tower. This may affect airflow.

Talk to Corsair. They may be able to tell you if it will mount correctly in your PC.

My card is 10.1 inches in length. Have you verified the card will fit in your case?

HP does not always adhere to industry standards. HP inverts the motherboard. HP power supplies are designed to be mounted at the top of the case as opposed to the bottom of the case. The power supply intake fan sucks air in the case and blows the hot air out the back of the case. The HP power supply cabling is adjacent to the service side panel whereas the cabling on the Corsair when mounted with the fan down is near the motherboard tray side panel.

Cheers

HP Recommended
Thanks
HP Recommended

Greetings,

You're welcome.

Many HP PC's are great systems but have limited upgrade options. The towers are smaller than a standard ATX case. Limited room inside the tower. No cable management options. Not all components can be swapped with aftermarket components.

If you enjoy upgrading PC's it is best to build one using a motherboard with room for expansion and upgradeability.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Almost thought you made an error, but you do have BIOS rev 8 because that unit originally shipped with WIN 8. The GTX 970 only draws 145W. The Corsair CX750M is3.39" x 5.91" x 6.30".  That is deep into your case, without connectors.   Do you have that much room between the existing PSu and the DVD connectors?  NVidia recommends a 500W, I would suggest the 600W modular version.   It's depth is 5.51".

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.