Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z800

I'm looking to upgrade my trusty Z800. I have four internal drives and want to move two SAS and one SATA drive into the new machine along with an SSD root drive (which I'll be buying new with the machine).

Looks like a Z820 will do this but a Z840 only has two drive bays, is that right?

What about new Z class machines, do any have four bays that can be configured as SAS or SATA?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

the z84 (like the z820) has 4 internal hotswap 3.5in bays that can support SAS/SATA drives using the onboard LSI sas/sata controller

both also have 4 intel sata "scu" ports and two standard sata three 6GBps ports

perhaps you might want to read the HP user manuals and sales literature and quickspecs for the z840 as they will answer most all of your questions

last, the HP newer "Z" workstations no longer have onboard LSI SAS/SATA chips, so to run SAS drives a pci-e sas card will be required

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.