Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 870-080na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a Omen 870-080na desktop PC which currently has a AMD Radeon 390x blower card which i am looking to upgrade, mainly due to poor Crimson Relive driver support on the 390 range and the fan RPM and noise required to keep the card under 85 degrees C 😞

The 390x is a double slot card, and im looking at gtx1080's which mostly seem to be 2.5 slot. As far as i can see, there shoudlnt be a problem with physical dimensions (the R9 390X is long card anyway). I just wanted to make sure that a 2.5 slot card would clear the PCI express 1x slot (obviously empty)? It looks like that is in the position where some motherboards might have the 3rd PCI slot, as its just visible above the R9 390X.

Thanks.

This post : http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Documents-of-The-Thimphu-motherb...

shows a pic of the mobo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@atem55, thanks for the response.

Thanks for providing the details.

Thanks for correcting me there, I have checked the specifications of GeForce GTX 1070 and 1080 and it should work on your PC. 

You can go ahead and replace the graphics card.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day ahead!:)

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi! @atem55, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you planning to update GPU card on your PC.

I have checked the specifications of your PC and the next available option to upgrade the graphics card is GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

If you stick with a 1080p display, then a GTX 980 will do you good for the next 5 years or so. If upgrading to 1440p, 144Hz, or 4K, then get the GTX 980 Ti.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi, thanks for your response.
I'm unsure why you are suggesting a 980, or ti when, in some games my 390x is superior! Also, even at 1440p, a 1080 can drop below 60 on ultra/max settings.
The physical dimensions are almost identical between a 390x, 980, 1070 and 1080. What is the reason this machine won't support a 1080 (or 1070)?
The power draw on my current card is significantly higher than any alternative I have mentioned?
HP Recommended

I posted below but didnt reply to your post, apologies

I may have answered my own query, as this machine : http://support.hp.com/si-en/document/c05297778   has the same THIMPHU motherboard as my machine and comes with a GTX 1080, so obviously it does support the card i wont to upgrade to...

The machine looks to be a replacement for mine, although in some specs it is lower, smaller ssd, less ram etc.   My primary concern of the clearance over the PCI 1x slot is obviously OK as it has the card installed.  

HP Recommended

@atem55, thanks for the response.

Thanks for providing the details.

Thanks for correcting me there, I have checked the specifications of GeForce GTX 1070 and 1080 and it should work on your PC. 

You can go ahead and replace the graphics card.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day ahead!:)

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.