Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 110-a04
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been thinking of getting a GTX 1050 ti to game on my old prebuilt. The question is, can my power supple unit handle that, and if not, where can I get a more powerful one? (TDP for GTX 1050 ti is 75 W)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JGaming805,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! 🙂 This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I understand that you  require assistance regarding  the  GTX 1050 ti power supply requirements. I’ll be very glad to assist you with this.:)

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. 🙂 I have reviewed the situation and it is paramount that we address your issue. Thank you for giving us the privilege to assist you on this platform. 🙂 You’ve done some very smart diagnosis before posting your question on HP forums.:)

First off, the power supply specifications of the graphics card suggest a minimum of 300W.

Please check the complete product specifications of the graphics card from this link: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1050

The product specifications of your computer are found by visiting this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-110-a00-Desktop-PC-series/7450559/model/7269155/document/c044...

Technically the motherboard should support the graphics card  with an upgraded power supply unit. You could check with a technician locally by getting in touch with Best Buy, Staples and also perhaps order the required power supply online after checking with the technician about the right specifications from Amazon or eBay or even buy it locally.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂 Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @JGaming805,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! 🙂 This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I understand that you  require assistance regarding  the  GTX 1050 ti power supply requirements. I’ll be very glad to assist you with this.:)

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. 🙂 I have reviewed the situation and it is paramount that we address your issue. Thank you for giving us the privilege to assist you on this platform. 🙂 You’ve done some very smart diagnosis before posting your question on HP forums.:)

First off, the power supply specifications of the graphics card suggest a minimum of 300W.

Please check the complete product specifications of the graphics card from this link: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1050

The product specifications of your computer are found by visiting this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-110-a00-Desktop-PC-series/7450559/model/7269155/document/c044...

Technically the motherboard should support the graphics card  with an upgraded power supply unit. You could check with a technician locally by getting in touch with Best Buy, Staples and also perhaps order the required power supply online after checking with the technician about the right specifications from Amazon or eBay or even buy it locally.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂 Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@JGaming805 Hopefully you read this before you make a misguided error.

Hey @wb2001,

The 500's are unique, but the 251'a are pretty straight forward...

but if you just look at the model number of both, you can tell if the power supply is internal or external.

for external power supply models there is an "a" on the model number...

so 

500-aXXX = External Power Supply

500-XXX = Internal Power Supply

(actually it is 5xx-aXX and 5xx-XXX, we have 550's out there now)

all our 251 have a 251-aXXX model number and therefore have an external power supply.

The service manual is for both models since they share the same Chassis.

hope that helps.

bill

@Bill_F  is our Community Manager.

What this all means is that computer is supposed to have an external power supply,  very similiar to a laptop unit.  Could you please state whether it's external or an internal PSU.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi @JGaming805,

Please follow the expert's suggestion regarding this.

Thanks and have a blessed weekend ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @JGaming805,

I greatly appreciate your quick response and thanks for the same. You've been just great to work with and it is a pleasure to work with technically competent customers.:) . I thank you for accepting this as a solution.

Please feel free to reach out always. I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up"button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps.

Thanks and have a blessed weekend ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.