Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

HI. I have a 4 year old HP Elite 1070 that has served me very well.

I just bought a new HP Envy 750 with (yuck) Windows 10.

I want to  use my SSD from my prior HP in this new machine.

My SSD is a SanDisk 950GB. It has Win7Pro and all my programs installed.

So I tried plugging it in as the primary and only drive. I went into the boot edit and

pointed to legacy drives (alhtough it directly connect to same cables as factory installed HDD).

I then tried restarting with the Windows 7 Pro install disk and also tried a Win7Pro rescue disk.

BOTH efforts get me to the "keyboard" screen, but then the keyboard AND mouse on the HP 750

go dead and the system seems locked.

So, I DONT want to diskcopy the new empty Win10 system onto my SSD and loose all my programs and settings,

I simply want to transplant the SSD drive directly and run Win7PRO on the new HP.

I contacted the Chat person, who was less then helpful.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RobertM00,

You cannot use the  WIN 7 OS  drive in the new motherboard. It will never boot with WIN 7.

Technically, there is an NRAM chip that knows the (1) OS, (2) motherboard model, (3) video card (if installed).  You attempt to make a change, and the situation you described with prevail.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@RobertM00,

You cannot use the  WIN 7 OS  drive in the new motherboard. It will never boot with WIN 7.

Technically, there is an NRAM chip that knows the (1) OS, (2) motherboard model, (3) video card (if installed).  You attempt to make a change, and the situation you described with prevail.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you. That's helpful. So, I can Never change the video card? Or what if I want upgrade to Windows 12 in 2 years (for example) There is No Way to edit the NRAM?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.