Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 Workstation IDS Base Model

Hello HP community,

I own a Z4 G4 workstation, originally equipped with a Quadro card. However, it didn't meet my expectations. Recently, I came across the RTX 3080 Ti, which seems like a great fit for my field, AECO.

I'm unsure if my workstation supports this card. My internal power supply is 750W, but I noticed the 3080 Ti requires an 8-pin PCIe connector, while my unit only has a 6-pin connector. (Two available)

I'm a big fan of the Z series and want to optimize my setup. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Brian Joel
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@YHWHJB,

Depending what Intel Core/Xeon processor you got, its TDP will range between 140- to 165-watt.

Here is an estimated power supply wattage calculation for your Workstation showing/visualizing what I meant:

NonSequitur777_0-1715290113507.png

Link: Power Supply Unit (PSU) Calculation - Number #561223 | PC Builds (pc-builds.com).

As you can see, your 750-watt power supply should be able to handle a 618-watt power draw (I imagine your config probably draws less), which is about 82% of your PSU's capacity.

Given that your power supply has the equivalent ATX power supply rating of at least "80 Plus Silver" (87% efficiency at 100% load = 652-watt), more likely a "80 Plus Gold" rating (89% efficiency at 100% load = 668-watt), in my opinion, you should be fine.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@YHWHJB,

Welcome to our HP community forum!

No worries, your 750-watt power supply's 6-pin PCIe power cables can each provide 12V x 18A = 216-watt of power: 

NonSequitur777_0-1715220697688.png

Meaning, you can use a 6-pin to 8-pin PCIe power adapter cable, such as this one: 🔥 HP 721859-001 GPU Power Adapter Female 6 Pin To Male 8 Pin Power Cable | eBay.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

No Sequitur777, thank you for the support.

I'll send you the images to better understand it. The outputs g1 and g3 are 6-pin, but the RTX 3080 Ti card requires a 12-pin input. There's already a cable for this card, but I didn't realize each pin was 8. I considered buying a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter, but I've been told that the cable wouldn't support the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition within my Z4 G4; I'd need a more powerful power supply.

Upon checking, I found that my power supply is 750W, but I'm unsure if it's sufficient for the card. The cable you sent is indeed correct; it will support and provide sufficient voltage. Thank you for your help and expertise.

Brian Joel
HP Recommended

YHWHJB_0-1715224611232.jpeg

YHWHJB_1-1715224632883.jpeg

YHWHJB_2-1715224642275.jpeg

YHWHJB_3-1715224649347.jpeg

YHWHJB_4-1715224657653.jpegYHWHJB_5-1715224663682.jpeg

Thank you!

Brian Joel
HP Recommended

@YHWHJB,

Well, an RTX 3070 Ti has indeed a considerable 350-watt TDP, but some sources (such as: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database), suggest that you can power this card with a (quality) 750-watt power supply -which your OEM-HP PSU certainly is.

Why don't you guesstimate how much wattage your CPU, RAM, drives, etc. pulls, and if you calculate that to be 300-watt or less, you should be good to go in my opinion.  If you choose to go ahead, you'll need two 6-pin PCIe to 8-pin PCIe power adapter cables, of course.

Instead of an RTX 3080 Ti, perhaps you want to consider an RTX 4080 -its TDP is 320-watt and is more powerful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@YHWHJB,

Depending what Intel Core/Xeon processor you got, its TDP will range between 140- to 165-watt.

Here is an estimated power supply wattage calculation for your Workstation showing/visualizing what I meant:

NonSequitur777_0-1715290113507.png

Link: Power Supply Unit (PSU) Calculation - Number #561223 | PC Builds (pc-builds.com).

As you can see, your 750-watt power supply should be able to handle a 618-watt power draw (I imagine your config probably draws less), which is about 82% of your PSU's capacity.

Given that your power supply has the equivalent ATX power supply rating of at least "80 Plus Silver" (87% efficiency at 100% load = 652-watt), more likely a "80 Plus Gold" rating (89% efficiency at 100% load = 668-watt), in my opinion, you should be fine.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help, everything is working fine. I'll buy the ventilation kit to cool down; for now, everything is going great. I really appreciate your help, it was fantastic, and all the time you took to consult. Thank you, your knowledge is excellent

Brian Joel
HP Recommended

@YHWHJB,

You are most welcome -glad I could be of assistance.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.