Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion a6120n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

My primary HDD recently failed.  So i went out and picked up a new HGST 4tb internal drive to replace the dead drive.

I figured I'd use the opportunity to make this a fresh clean new install of Windows 10.  So with the Microsoft Media Tool I created a Windows 10 installation DVD. 

Unfortunately, when I boot the PC with the new Windows 10 (64bit) installation disc, it only allows me to create a new partition up to a maximum size of 1768gb. 

Now I do remember reading about a 4gb RAM limitation the BIOS/motherboard has, but I couldn't find any limitation on the hard driver size. 

Although I found some articles stating that UEFI & GPT would be required to make this work for any HDD over 2tb, I have absolutely no idea how to do this, nor if this motherboard has any limitation.

Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated as I've been racking my brain for the last month trying to solve this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What you failed to disclose was the original BIOS was Vista.  With that stated, you would not have a BIOS level available to download that would of had level 8 (UEFI BIOS) compatibilities and options you need.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

#HPExpertDay

Even if you get the partition done, etc. Since the HDD is been replaced, the Product Key which came with the unit would not work. Product key is tied up with three components of PC and HDD is one of them. To get the new HDD tagged, you would need to call HP and setup a setive or take the unit to authorized service provider.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi SuperTuna,

Did you try all the steps listed here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/...

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

On the HGSt web site is the following note:

Overcome the 2.2TB Windows' limitations with the HGST GPT Disk Manager. So create the partition to install Windows 10, and then use this tool to play around with partition sizes to get what you need.

https://www.paragon-software.com/hgst/

I've never used ths tool before...perhaps someone who has done this on the forum can chime in. But I would just download and look for manuals and help files for the tool.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

Hey Karthik, thank you so much for replying so quickly!

My appologies, I totally failed to mention that I wasn't going to be using the key that came with the PC.  I was hoping  to use a new Win10 key I have. 

My stumbling block at this point was getting the HDD regognized as a 4tb. 

Also, I'm not quite sure what a setive is?

HP Recommended

First time i see this tool!

I had just finished downloading it when I noticed that it mentions "...and the resulting hard disk drive cannot be used as a boot drive." So I'm not sure if this will work?

HP Recommended

Hey Mister_Do,  I just read through that article and found a little point that may make a difference;  It reads  " You may need to turn off Secure Boot and Fast Boot in BIOS setup to boot UEFI installation media"

Will give this a try tonight.  Hopefully that resolves it!

HP Recommended

I hope it works!

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Turns out there's no option to remove the fastboot on the BIOS...

HP Recommended

What you failed to disclose was the original BIOS was Vista.  With that stated, you would not have a BIOS level available to download that would of had level 8 (UEFI BIOS) compatibilities and options you need.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.