Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

im just wondering before i buy a GTX graphics card. its older, i know, but like my i5 is not the best built in graphics buddy.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @jaxpclover 

An SMVB MB descriptor can apply to many different MBs.

You would have to provide a specific HP Product Number to see if your PC's MB has a PCIe x16 slot which would be required to do a discrete graphics card upgrade.

Most HP Desktop PC's have a PCIe x16 slot on the MB but it doesn't hurt to verify this.

Regards

HP Recommended

The product number is 8653.

HP Recommended

Hi @jaxpclover 

Thanks for the info.

8653 is the MB ID. Your PC's 8653 MB specs can be reviewed at this HP Site. This MB has the required PCIe x16 slot.

I don't know your power supply (PSU) specs since this item is not provided at the above site. The PSU specs are usually listed at the HP Product Number support site.

The existing HP PSU may limit graphics card upgrade options.

You will have to check the existing PSU to see what you have. You will have to measure along the x16 slot to determine the maximum allowable dimensions (LxHxW) of a prospective graphics card upgrade before selecting the new graphics card.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.