Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP v220w USB Flash Drive
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

plz help me out my 16 gb pendrive cannot be formated it says disk write protected .I have already tried all the solution in the forum and i cant solve it.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @SarathImaya,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your USB drive is write protected. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you checked with a different USB drive and does it work your PC? 

Have you tried running command prompt as an administrator?

Or if you have another PC please connect the flash drive and try the commands again.

Please try few steps recommended below.

Open the command prompt and type the following commands below.
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 1 (If the flash drive is listed as disk 1)
ATTRIBUTES DISK
ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY

If the issue still persists try the steps mentioned below.

Click on your Start Menu and type regedit into the Search for programs and files field
Navigate to- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
and look for a key named WriteProtect.
If that key exists, right-click on it and click on Modify.
Now, you’ll probably find that the value for this is set to 1. 1 means “Yes, write protect my USB storage device.” So you can guess that 0 means “No, don’t write protect my USB storage device.” Now change that value to 0 and click on the OK button.

Here's a related HP Forum post which has helped others to resolve the issue, please try to follow this document: Click here

Alternatively, you can try these steps as well: 

This is a common error with those HP pen drives which are manufactured by PNY.

Download USB Flash Driver Format Tool (Ufix-II):
http://www.pny.com.tw/index.php?cls=2&mode=download

Once downloaded, right-click on that file and choose to Extract All.
NOTE: If Extract All is not available, you can use 7-Zip to extract the file. It is a free download. http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

NOTE 2: Make sure the HP pen drive inserted in the computer before running the fix.

Open the new folder and double-click on Ufix II.exe to run it. 

NOTE: if  Ufix II does not fix the problem, go back and try  Ufix III.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.