Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp compaq presario cq5300uk
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi there

Im looking to upgrade my desktop pc.

What i plan:

-Amd phenom iix4 965 black edition

-Msi r7 i thnik it needs 500watts

-Maby a new psu, my one only has 230watts

Please can you tell me if i can fit these items and any recommendations if not.

Thanks

Note: Im paartly new to building computers only had experience of changing hard drvies, gpu and ram.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Black Editions are not generally HP compliant.  The last series of compatible graphic cards were the GTX 660-670.  Your system can not use the newer UEFI cards, like the R7.  Read about Hybrid cards by MSI.  (no guarantee)

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Black Editions are not generally HP compliant.  The last series of compatible graphic cards were the GTX 660-670.  Your system can not use the newer UEFI cards, like the R7.  Read about Hybrid cards by MSI.  (no guarantee)

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Ok thanks for the help,

no wonder why all prebuilt pcs are so rubish especially hp and dell 😕

HP Recommended

Sorry your so offended  about your 6 year old unit.  HP lists CPU upgrades that have been tested within the motherboard parameters. BTW, I did have the same board in my HP m8100e CTO.  Personally, I have had an Asus GPU fail to work with an Asus motherboard.  That cost me $50 return. I was not turned off by Asus motherboards. 

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

No not about you 🙂

I mean hp just make computers that are almost impossible to upgrade.

Maby because they want you to buy a new hp model so that they can get money?

But I have to say hp have great product quality. Had a pavilion for 3 years and works fine.

Well thanks dean your a great helper and hp expert 🙂

ps: O yea i checked the cpu upgrade and it said amd phenom iix4 9xxx which means xxx can be replaced by numbers. I saw the 965 black edition as a oppotunity but unfortunatley it has a tdp of 125 and this motherboard has a tdp of 95 😕

Im just pretty much going to build a new pc got some parts ready. Will you tell me if the coolermaster cpu fan will work with a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 i think it will but im not 2 sure. Thanks man 🙂 And is the pesario's psu a atx psu? THANKS 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.