Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One - 22-df0023w
Microsoft Windows 11

I was trying to burn a dvd on the internal burner and it just kept beeping and then wouldn't open by itself, so I opened it with a paper clip, but now it doesn't recognize a cd or dvd when I insert one...

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Nancyspc,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like there could be a few potential issues causing your DVD/CD burner to malfunction. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the issue.

• Restart Your Computer: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve hardware issues.
  • Check Device Manager: Open Device Manager in Windows and check if there are any errors or warnings listed for the DVD/CD drive. If there are, try updating the driver or uninstalling and reinstalling it.
  • Check for Physical Obstructions: Make sure there are no obstructions blocking the DVD/CD drive tray from opening or closing properly. Also, check for any debris inside the drive that could be causing issues.
  • Check Power and Data Connections: Ensure that the power and data cables connected to the DVD/CD drive are secure and properly connected.
  • Update Firmware: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your DVD/CD drive and install them if necessary.
  • Run Hardware Troubleshooter: Windows has a built-in hardware troubleshooter that can help diagnose and fix hardware issues. You can access it by going to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Hardware and Devices.
  • Try a Different Disc: Sometimes, the issue may be with the disc itself. Try using a different DVD or CD to see if the problem persists.
  • Check for Software Conflicts: Sometimes, third-party software can interfere with the functioning of the DVD/CD drive. Try uninstalling any recently installed software that might be causing conflicts.
  • Check BIOS Settings: If none of the above steps work, you can try checking the BIOS settings to ensure that the DVD/CD drive is detected properly. You can access the BIOS by restarting your computer and pressing the appropriate key (usually Del, F2, or F12) during startup.

By following these steps, you should be able to identify and hopefully resolve the issue with your DVD/CD burner.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.