Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1119
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion p7-1119 desktop, plain jane, no upgrades except for an upgrade on the power supply.

Pentium G620

4 GB ram

520 watt power supply (upgraded to accomodate the video card)

Windows 7 64 bit.

Video card is a Radeon HD 6450 from VisionTek.

When I install the Radeon card, I'm getting no signal to the monitor and no error beeps from the computer.  The power light on the monitor blinks in the same way as when the computer is powered down.

The Radeon HD 6450 is supposed to be white listed for the carmel2 mainboard, but it's not working for me.

So far I have tried to boot into safe mode to bypass the on board video drivers.

I've done the BIOS update for the mainboard.

There is no way that I can find to tell the BIOS to use the PCIe slot for video.

I even wiped the Windows 10 upgrade from the computer using the restore sector on the hard drive to revert to Win7 in a factory fresh install.

The slot appears to work, the GeForce card I purchased prior to this one made it to the splash acreen but no further, that's how I discoved the whitelist.

Basically I'm at my wits end.  Everything I've found, I've tried.  The last resort was the wipe of the hard drive to revert to Win7, some people have had luck with that.  I didn't.

When I got the Radeon card, the store told me that was that so taking the card back is out of the equation too, so I'd really like to figure out how to get it to work.

Any assistance would be appreceated.

Thanks, Al

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Alzie61, welcome to the forum.

There is no reason that I can see for the video card not to work in your computer.  I suggest contacting the manufacturer's Tech Support for help with solving your problem.  They are the experts on their products and should be able to get you up and running with no problems.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@old_geekster wrote:

@Alzie61, welcome to the forum.

There is no reason that I can see for the video card not to work in your computer.  I suggest contacting the manufacturer's Tech Support for help with solving your problem.  They are the experts on their products and should be able to get you up and running with no problems.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I have contacted their tech support. Unfortunately they didn't see an answer either.

what I have done so far...

followed the the instructios that came with the card which were to disable the driver to the on-board video, insert the card, insert CD with drivers when I was booted up-never booted.

i chased the issue on Google, to no avail.  

Emailed tech support, but no luck there either.

what I did find out (by accident) is that plugging in the video card does disable the on-board video so it does see something there, but that's as far as I have got. 

I have tried to boot with both the UEFI and Legacy Boot; both the VGA and the other plug to the monitor, I don't have an HDMI monitor to try with; and the most recent was to wipe Windows 10 and go to Win7 that was on the box in the first place to see if maybe the newer OS had done something to the boot sequence that prevented the card from working.

im hoping against hope someone has an idea I haven't seen yet here.

i miss the old days, go into bios, change the video from on-board to the slot, stick in a card and go.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.