Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Phoenix 810-135
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Trading in this Phoenix 810-135 for something new. This one refuses to work properly. Omen 870 was suggested. My system is running  i7 3.4 4770 83 watts, 2TB storage, 32 GB memory, 600 watt PS, Nvidia GTX 970 and liquid cooled. Not too crazy about liquids and electronics but that's what it came with. trying to keep in budget with what HP gave me               (  $1300 ) plus a bit of my own. Any suggestions?? Gammer son, Professional audio restoration, photography. New to forum and apologize ahead if not posted properly.

Many thanks,  Daddio4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Big Dave, sorry for the delay but I wanted you to know I figured what to build with your dedicated help and suggestions; using the omen 870-210se as a platform, I'm excited with what we came up with and room to grow! Good luck with yours; it's going to be a brute! Many thanks, Daddio4

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your existing PC should be quite good for most modern games. If anything, just replacing the graphics card with a high end NVIDIA GTX 1080 ($$) would add a lot of gaming punch.

You didn't say which model of OMEN.  I like this model.:smileytongue: or the less expensive model.

Check these specs out for an upper end OMEN.  Dual NVIDIA 1080s in SLI mode. Now that's a rockin unit.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Thanks for the advice. The Phoenix is on its way back to hp; never worked properly, and they wiped my hard drive ' by accident ' ! Omen 870 200se is what we've been building; with and looks like it will work within our budget. Thoughts? Thanks again for the help! Daddio4
HP Recommended
Big Dave, thanks again for the reply. At this point specs are; i5 7600 3.8 91watt processor, 256SSD+2TBHDD, 16 ghz memory, 500watt ps, 1060 graphics and air cooled; 95 watt. Audio/electronics Engineer- liquids bad... a little wiggle room, but excited for new electronics. Thoughts? If you have the time. Much thanks!! Daddio4
HP Recommended

@Daddio4

The NVIDIA 1060 is a little weak for gaming.  You might want to check out the AMD RX 480 but it uses a bit more power. The 870-200se does have the Kabylake processors but not the Z270 chipset. It all depends on what you need.

I use a closed loop liquid cooling system and never had a problem. If you don't plan on overclocking then you don't need it.

I am going with the i7-7700k and RAID 0 m.2 NVME SSDs for my next custom build.  I'll transfer some parts from my exisiting rig such as water cooling, NVIDIA GTX 980TI and all four PWM fans. I am heading for the 5GHz range. Right now I am waiting on parts.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Dave, again thanks for the help and support. Unfortunately at this point, money restraints are an unfortunate part of this build, but your ideas are in line with mine. BUT I need to work with what I'm offered and your suggestions are much appreciated. I feel within this build I, and with your ideas, can come away with a future ready build. Thanks again and anymore comments are greatly exaggerated! Daddio4
HP Recommended

@Daddio4

Maybe this HP ENVY 750-530qd CTO model fits what you need.  It starts at $600 and then you can add upgrades to a point where you are good with the performance and your pocketbook.

HP Recommended
Dave, Thinking alike.... I looked over that series but felt there wasn't enough meat to work with and to match (!?)what I was replacing. On paper our original Phoenix looked great but never performed. The Omen 700 series I mentioned has the basics and compared to what we had and now can afford. The newer version of pieces available are a plus right off the bat. I know electronics very well; computers, not so much. So input from you IS extremely welcome and noted. The advice alone keeps me thinking and reworking the build. I'm held to a firm budget and have to work from there. Please keep the ideas coming; they are extremely welcome! Daddio4
HP Recommended
Dave, sorry to bother you. Checked the envy 750 again and could build a bit more of what we would like, as you suggested.
i7, 16gs memory, 2tb+256ssd drive 1070 graphics, 500watt ps, air cooled, for around what we can spend. What's the major difference between the 2 systems?
I guess I didn't look deep enough..... Thanks for the heads up. Daddio4
HP Recommended
Meant to say "appreciated ....."
. Just noticed the mistake!!!
Many apologies , please, keep the ideas coming.
Daddio4
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.