Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have slots 1 and 2 with 8GB each.   When I add RAM to slots 3 and 4 with 8 GB each, the PC beeps loudly the instant I hit the power button.  I thought that I had the wrong type of RAM so I bought some different RAM (from CRUCIAL).  I added the new RAM into slots 3 and 4 and again the PC beeps when the power button is pressed.  I then took out the original RAM and put the new RAM into slots 1 and 2.  Powered up just FINE.  I tried putting the RAM into slots 5 & 6, and same beeping.  Is there some trick to Enabling the additional RAM slots?  I combed through the BIOS and saw nothing.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@4thand26 wrote:

I have slots 1 and 2 with 8GB each.   When I add RAM to slots 3 and 4 with 8 GB each, the PC beeps loudly the instant I hit the power button.  I thought that I had the wrong type of RAM so I bought some different RAM (from CRUCIAL).  I added the new RAM into slots 3 and 4 and again the PC beeps when the power button is pressed.  I then took out the original RAM and put the new RAM into slots 1 and 2.  Powered up just FINE.  I tried putting the RAM into slots 5 & 6, and same beeping.  Is there some trick to Enabling the additional RAM slots?  I combed through the BIOS and saw nothing.

Is the added RAM  a different brand / type to the one that was already in the machine? Basically it has been shown on multiple occassions that for best compatibility you really need identical RAM (size, type, brand, speed etc.). Mixing sometimes works but if it doesn't then there is nothing you can do about it, since there are no bios settings pertaining to memory.

HP Recommended

It is not the identical type of RAM.  I do have 4 of the identical 8GB sticks, so I will try that tonight.

HP Recommended

4thand26,

The beeping may well be simply a notice that the amount of RAM has changed and you may be prompted to press F1 to accept the new quantity and continue booting.  This would happen every time the amount changes.

There is a pattern to installing RAM in a z420.  The memory is 4-channel so with eight slots, the optimal configuration is to have each of the channels completed- 4 modules installed, and in the proper sequence. 

There is a chart of this sequence inside the access door and you can see that the proper order for filling all eight slots is:

Slot No.:

1             = CH 1

2              =CH2

Of course, if the RAM were completely identical, theses may be loaded 1 > 8.

It is preferable to use the identical RAM in every slot so the timings are the same,  but it's not essential.  We have two z420's, one with 16GB and the other with 32GB and these are using for each system, the same HP- supplied Samsung memory and performance has been very goods and with no issues.  The z620 has 64GB  (8X 8GB divided ino 32GB + 32GB between the two processors) and similarly has good performance.

Try installing all the RAM in the sequence above and if it beeps on startup, press F1 and see what happens. Restart and if all is well, the new configuration is recorded and it will not beep again.

Cheers,

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

To be clear:  I put the RAM into slots 1 & 2 and 3 & 4.

Not 1, 8, 3, 6.

Correct?

HP Recommended

4thand26,

The first module goes in slot 1, the 2nd module goes in slot 8, 3rd in slot 3, 4th in slot 6 and so on. This is symmetrical about the center, working from "outside" to "inside" in  alternate slots. 

Much Easier:  If you have 2 sets of 4 modules, fill 4 black slots of type 1 , and the other 4 white slot will be filled using  type 2.  

If 1: If the modules are different size, use the larger size modules in the set of slots that include Slot 1. 

If 2: If there are less than 8 modules,  fill in the 1, 8, 3, 6, 2, 7, 4, 5 pattern starting with largest capacity first (If 1), until you run out.

Not to confuse the issue but:  A dual CPU z620 is more fun as the slots are filled in the same kind of sequence but on two different boards, one above the other- eventually. To make it interesting, the mainboard has 8 slots and the riser has 4 slots.  - Like Mr. Spock's 3D chess,..  

Cheers,

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended
I put 4 identical 8GB sticks into the correct slots. This time when I him the power button, the machine did NOT beep at me. Instead, it turned on for about 5-10 seconds and then the fan went into a high speed turbo mode. The monitors never woke up. The pc just sits and spins the fan on high speed mode.

I was very excited for about 20 seconds when I hit the power button and did not hear the death beep.
HP Recommended

4thand26,

The last error does seems as though it's due to incorrect memory.

1. What is the processor?

2. What memory were you using the last itme the system worked properly?

3. Can you list the designations of each of the memory types you're using?

It's a puzzle,..

Cheers,

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

I think that the RAM that I added yesterday, which were 4 identical sticks of 8GB, was not compatible with the z420.

I am currently thinking that the 2x8GB of RAM that I added, and it worked with just those 2 sticks, are what I need to order more of.

4 x 8GB DDR3-1866 EUDIMM 1.5V CL13

I have that on order and will give it a try mid-next week. 

Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

I am expereincing the same thing in myZ420 workstation as you with the fan moving at very high speeds.  I thought a BIOS update mightfix the issue, but I'm still getting the fan spinning very fast/loud.  Were you able to resolve your issue?

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.