Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z800

I have 2 z800 machines. One is non-functioning and has a MB issue and I ordered a new board from eBay for it, the other machine is working fine. The working one has 2 CPUs and CPU fans. The fans are not as quiet as I would like (though not bad for such a powerful box) so I thought I would try out the recently purchased official HP z800 liquid cooling unit that I had lying around. It was meant to be used with the non-functioning machine.

I installed the liquid cooling unit using the directions described here,

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01829154

Plugged everything in and turned the machine on. The fans (except RAM fans) started quietly, but no boot into bios. Then about 10-15 seconds later the fans started going very hard (RAM fans never ran). The machine would not boot.

So I took the liquid cooling unit out and put back the old fans. Rebooted the box and everything was back to normal.

So the question is what are the issues to look at when the liquid cooling unit cause a failure to boot?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have been using liquid cooling systems with my gaming systems for years without issues even when migrating a system to an upgrade motherboard.

The things I can think of that could cause issues are:

A coolant failed pump

faulty or damaged Liquid Cooling System cables 

a bad temperature sensor or pin connection

Is the z800 Liquid Cooling still under warranty?

Contact HP and request a replacement unit.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I have been using liquid cooling systems with my gaming systems for years without issues even when migrating a system to an upgrade motherboard.

The things I can think of that could cause issues are:

A coolant failed pump

faulty or damaged Liquid Cooling System cables 

a bad temperature sensor or pin connection

Is the z800 Liquid Cooling still under warranty?

Contact HP and request a replacement unit.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The liquid cooling unit was purchased from HP last month. I was thinking I need to call HP to get a replacement unit or refund, since my computer works without the liquid cooling and fails to start when I add it into the mix. Thanks for your feedback, it is good to know that you had no issues getting the liquid cooling to work. I was worried last night as I was doing all of these changes thinking I messed up the mother board.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.