Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-210 desktop
Windows 8.1

I purchased a 700-210 in August 2014 with an A10-6700 APU.  The A10 and Envy 700-210 description identifies the A10 APU as having 4 cores, but the Windows Task Manager shows only 2 cores supporting 4 logical processors.  I expected to see 4 cores enabled and 4 logical processors, but maybe 2x4=8 logical processors is possible.  What I can not determine is how to enable the additional 2 cores on the A10 using the UEFI/BIOS interface.  Can you tell me 1) if the other cores can be enabled and 2) the BIOS page to make that change?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Open up the RUN window and enter: MSCONFIG

Go to the Boot tab --Advanced options and make sure the Number of processors box is unchecked. If that is the case then you should download a CPU benchmarking program and run the test while you have the Windows 8  Resource Monitor running so that you can observe the CPU utilizations. The new processor chips will "park" or entirely shutdown CPU cores until the demand is high enough before  dynamically activating the other cores.  This is an energy saving design.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I ran msconfig and verified the box is not checked in the Advanced Boot tab.  I ran the Passmark 8.0 CPU Test tool.  In the System information section, it shows the AMD A10-6700 (Codename Richland) is in an FM2 socket with 1 CPU, 2 Cores per CPU, and 2 Logicals per Core.

This is consistent with the  Resource Manager and Task Manager screens which did not change from 2 to 4 Cores during the CPU stress tests executed by the Passmark Tool.

I am running BIOS JA2 v80.52 dated 11/11/2014 on the MSI JasmineR Motherboard.  The BIOS setup is accessed via the UEFI by pressing F10 to access the BIOS Setup.  In the advanced section of the BIOS setup, there is an Advanced tab but there is no selection for Enabling a Parked or Disabled CPU(s).  But it seems this would be the place to look.  For example, there is a selection for Device Options where the Integrated Video is Disabled.  A disabled GPU setting on the A10 is correct since I have a R7260x graphics card installed.

Is it possible I have some sort of defective A10-6700 with only 2 of 4 cores, where the other two were defective at manufacturing and locked?  If so, what recourse do I have for replacement?

I'm still surprised there is nowhere in the BIOS to Enable the Cores, or verify that they are enabled.  I need very specific guidance if you think I am overlooking some hidden setting.  I have explored the UEFI selections and BIOS screens, and have come up empty thus far.

HP Recommended

Hi,

According to the BIOS updates posted for your PC, there is not a 80.52 update.  I don't know where you got that update but you should contact HP Support and ask for clarification.

HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT or online here.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Well.  The BIOS was recently updated (this weekend or last week) and from what I can tell v80.52 is current for the System Board / ROM  Family 2AE0 1.0

I'll try the link and support number provided.

In general, do most BIOS system that HP sells have the option to enable/disable individual cores on the AMD APUs?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Check the downloads from the support area for your PC.  Do you see BIOS update 80.52?

As I mentioned previously, check with HP Support for clarification.

Once last question.  Did you make any modifications to your PC?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for your followup.

First, no, I have not made modifications to my PC in terms of the bios.  I have upgraded the power supply, added a graphics card, and hard drives to the system.

I did contact HP support but the technician only referred me to AMD and offered little else.

AMD tech support did respond to my inquiry and stated that the A10-6700 "is not a true "quad-core" CPU owing to the fact it has four integer cores and two floating point cores. Windows 8 reads that as it having four hardware threads and two cores, whereas previously Windows 7 would report it as having "4" cores."

So it appears the discrepancy, if it can be called that, is just how Windows 8.1 classifies the threads with only 2 FPUs available.

Thanks for your interest and getting back with me.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.