BIOS ROM Checksum error! (7915 Views)
Tutor
Whistle
Message 1 of 18 (7,915 Views)

BIOS ROM Checksum error!

When powering pc on I receive the following message:

Award Bootblock Bios v1.0

Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.

Bios Rom Checksum Error

Detecting IDE ATAPI device ...

Found CDROM, try to Boot from it ...(Pass) - when i have the HP Recovery disk in drive

While holding down or tapping F1, F5 & F10 keys (FYI - I've tried every Function key, ESC and DEL); I receive the last message:

"No physical memory is available at the location required for the Windows Boot Manager. The system can not continue."   Just Hangs!

HP Pavillion Media Center TV m8020n Desktop PC

Windows Vista Home Premium

Motherboard:  Manufacturer - Asus; Motherboard Name - P5LP-LE; HP/Compaq motherboard name: Leonite-GL8E 

I have been checking several website sources about flashing; and if so, is that an option and how or perhaps just replacing the motherboard. This problem is 4 months and counting...busy person and havent been able to spend a lot time trying to fix this.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 18 (7,911 Views)

Re: BIOS ROM Checksum error!

[ Edited ]

If it showed "Detecting IDE ATAPI device" Try F-11 at boot up and see if you can perform a recovery. If nothing, Try a new hard drive. Then go from there.

Flashing the bios will probably not help. The read-only memory ROM containing the BIOS program is protected by a checksum value as a double-check that the ROM code is correct. This checksum is compared against the values in the ROM each time the PC is booted and if there is a mismatch, this code is generated.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once"
- Albert Einstein

Message Edited by dmhoo29 on 04-26-2009 12:05 PM
Tutor
Whistle
Message 3 of 18 (7,907 Views)

...tapping or holding down the F11 key also gave me the "No physical memory" message. You stated try a new hard drive; does that mean take out and replace the C drive or add an external hard drive.  Which drive is being looked at with insufficent memory to continue Windows Boot Manager?
Professor
1badGuard
Message 4 of 18 (7,901 Views)

It means the internal hard drive. Do you have an external drive connected to it? If so, remove it.
Tutor
Whistle
Message 5 of 18 (7,897 Views)

Thanks, i will go out and purchase one; I do have an external drive, but it's not connected.
Tutor
mave_rick
Message 6 of 18 (7,881 Views)

I would advice you to replace the CMOS battery and resetting the BIOS to factory default.

You may look into the following HP document:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01368145&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

- an HP employee expressing his own opinion, not HPs.
Professor
1badGuard
Message 7 of 18 (7,866 Views)

Mave_rick, It's the BIOS ROM Checksum error they're having issues with.
Tutor
Whistle
Message 8 of 18 (7,880 Views)

I have reseated the CMOS battery twice and the last time (1 1/2 weeks ago replaced it). How can i restore the BIOS to factory default settings, if I am unable to start windows?
Professor
1badGuard
Message 9 of 18 (7,877 Views)

If you removed the cmos battery you reset and restored the bios to factory settings. If you flashed the bios you cannot undo that.
Tutor
mave_rick
Message 10 of 18 (7,866 Views)

dmhoo29, the HP document provided in the previous post talks about the same issue.

Whistle, if the issue still persists, the PC may need to be serviced for motherboard issue or BIOS may have become corrupt.

- an HP employee expressing his own opinion, not HPs.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation