Question

Honor Student
claudia80
Message 1 of 7 (2,432 Views)

Cannot open the expansion bay

I bought a desktop computer. HP Pavilion Elite HPE-510y Desktop PC. It has an expansion bay but it does not open when i push the button. What is the expansion bay for? I never used it and would like to know if maybe it has a problem so I can return it before the warranty expires.

Thank you.

Tutor
Rocksuperstar
Message 2 of 7 (2,419 Views)

Re: Cannot open the expansion bay

An expansion bay is simply an empty slot reserved for whatever you want to put in it, usually a second optical drive. The reason it doesn't open is because there's nothing in there.

No need to send it back, no problem, just a well disguised empty space.
Honor Student
claudia80
Message 3 of 7 (2,408 Views)

Thank you.

one more question so how can i put something in there. not that i want to but just wondering.

Tutor
Rocksuperstar
Message 4 of 7 (2,404 Views)

Don't know the actual layout of your particular case, but usually you have to remove the side panel to connect and insert the new hardware into the expansion bay, removing any blanking plates in the front panel in the process. The eject button i can see from a screenie of your unit is just a very simple mechanism that pushes against the most common spot on the front of CD drives where the eject button is usually sat, hence the reason it does nothing atm.

If you're ever curious about the innards of your machine then why not take the side panel off and have a look around? Just be careful touching anything rectangular and black or hot and shiny, you'll be fine.
Honor Student
claudia80
Message 5 of 7 (2,391 Views)

Thanks for the info.
Student
davidgeorge
Message 6 of 7 (1,416 Views)

the expansion bay does not open

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 7 of 7 (1,413 Views)

Hi,

The expansion bay is typically used for a second optical drive. When you push the button, the optical drive tray button will cause the tray to push open the expansion bay door.  Most HP PCs are not shipped with two optical drives.  This service manual will give you some insight into replacing/adding an optical drive.

You should be able to use your finger and grab the expansion bay door just above the button and pull it forward to inspect the bay.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation