Question

Honor Student
Axeman098
Message 1 of 11 (13,335 Views)
Accepted Solution

DC 7700 Convertible Minitower (CMT) Motherboard info?

Hello all, new user here trying to find the Front Panel Connector guide to a DC7700 motherboard. I am trying to swap this board into a bigger case, and cannot find the layout diagram for the front panel connectors. I've been looking all over the HP site for an hour or two now and simply cannot seem to put my hands on it. Can Anyone point me in the right direction???  Many thanks in advance for your help!
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 2 of 11 (13,318 Views)

Re: DC 7700 Convertible Minitower (CMT) Motherboard info?

USB is easy since it is keyed with one unused pin.  Other connectors may be labeled on the MB.
Honor Student
Axeman098
Message 3 of 11 (13,312 Views)

Sigh.....while I appreciate the response, you seem to have the same exact problem that HP Chat assistants seem to have. As in you either failed to properly read my message OR failed to understand it. In either case, please excuse my frustration, but it is a simple problem that everyone but me seems to want to make bigger than it needs to be.

I am an IT tech, I am familiar with the motherboard and the LOCATION of the ports. What I asked was, (Excuse me for feeling I need to clarify BUT....)

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO FIND THE PIN LAYOUT DIAGRAM FOR THE FRONT PANEL (Power/LED) CONNECTOR PORT? I ALREADY KNOW WHERE IT IS....I'M ASKING IF SOMEONE CAN REFER ME TO A DIAGRAM OF WHICH PINS DO WHAT!!!!???

No offense, but after having this same conversation with HP chat for about an hour, forgive me if I'm a little out of patience. It's a simple problem, all it requires is a simple diagram. I simply need to locate said diagram....I never said or asked anything about the USB port.

I don't mean to be short, but please understand that after an hour of this with HP chat support, and getting nowhere with such a simple problem, this only reinforces why I refuse to own or purchase HP products. The products offered in and of themselves are of good quality, BUT HP SUPPORT STINKS AS USUAL!!! And it's sad to see that apparantly the forums suffer from the same inability to understand a simple request. One more reason I despise working on HP's because I'd rather drink Drano than deal with HP tech support (The very phrase is an oxymoron to me).

Funny, when I go to Dell chat and ask the same question about a Dell, I can usually get the correct information requested in 5 minutes or less. But, when I go to HP chat and ask for a simple pin diagram. I waste literally 45minutes with someone who doesn't even take the time to look at the links he/she is providing me to realize that NONE of them contain any sort of diagram for what I requested!!!!

Look, I'm sorry to sound bitter, but if you understood in some small way just how MUCH time I waste as a professional just TRYING to get help with an HP problem, you'd understand my frustration. It's a shame when reallly great products simply don't have just as equally great support. I come to the forums hoping real people can help me, and I get the same exact frustrating unrelated answers as I did with HP chat. So please understand where my frustration is coming from.

Can ANYONE provide a straight and simple answer/link to a pin diagram of the F_PNL connector please???

Grad Student
lmann
Message 4 of 11 (13,298 Views)

look at page 3 of this document, is this wat ur looking for?

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00768076/c00768076.pdf

(found this here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3232028#2 but why did hp make the font so tiny?!)

Honor Student
Axeman098
Message 5 of 11 (13,284 Views)

Close. This does show the port I am refering to (P5), I was hoping to find the pin layout of P5 so I could swap the board into a rackmount chassis for an audio application. The board itself is excellent, sad when all the connectors are proprietary, and trying to find the pin layouts so I can plug in another switch and lights in a different case is like trying to find the KFC secret recipe... the product itself is a perfect platform for the application with a C2D E6300 1.86Ghz cpu and 3Gb of Ram. The old DC7700 Case was in rough shape, and I want to extend the lifespan of a solid product by adapting it to a new home.

Try explaining this to tech support, and it's like speaking to a 2 year old in Ancient Latin.... blah blah blah... sigh

SORRY HP FOR BEING A MODDER AND WANTING TO USE YOUR SOLID PRODUCT AS A SLEEPER BOARD IN MY LATEST RECORDING PROJECT. FORGIVE ME FOR WANTING TO DO SOMETHING CREATIVE AND EXCITING WITH YOUR BUSINESS PLATFORMS AND SOMEHOW PROMOTE YOUR BRAND NAME...

okay, so I'm a bit overboard with the sarcasm.... :smileyvery-happy:....

....I just find it exasperating that NO OTHER MOTHERBOARD VENDOR MAKES IT SO HARD TO FIND OUT SOMETHING SO SIMPLE AS A PORT PIN DIAGRAM.  

HP makes cool stuff....the HDX laptops, the blackbird boxes, some very smooth Elitebook laptops, all really good stuff....that I would never own because the support for it just makes me want to torture small animals in anger and frustration(sarcasm).

I mean come on man.....y'all just don't understand how frustrating dealing with stuff like this is. It's a good product, WHY make it so hard to utilize it in a different way?

Student
blackout
Message 6 of 11 (13,056 Views)

Any luck on this.....I am also looking for the pin out to the P5 F_PNL connector....
Honor Student
mdscole
Message 7 of 11 (13,063 Views)

I found it: https://computinghardware.web.cern.ch/ComputingHardware/DOC/HP/HP-dc7700/dc7700-TechnicalReferenceGuide.pdf

Page 134.

I'm doing the opposite - trying to use an HP Case for a non-HP MB.

Good luck.

Honor Student
mdscole
Message 8 of 11 (13,012 Views)

After taking it apart - it's easier to trace the wires from the switch.  The front switch pops out after the front cover is removed.  There's two heavier gauge white wires that go to the switch - those can be either + or -.

Then there's two sets of leads for the red and green leds.

Green led is a green wire and white wire.

Red led is a red wire and a black wire.

Most of the rest of the pins aren't used.

Student
vank7578
Message 9 of 11 (12,863 Views)

I am looking for the same diagram but for the  HP m9452p. It's motherboard is IPIBL-LB, and is made by ASUS.  I recently upgraded computer towers and the front panel connectors are different than the previous connectors. 
Honor Student
imjohnl
Message 10 of 11 (3,153 Views)

I also had a question and the answer is partially found on page 3. My question is about J30 Expansion Card.
What type of card would connect here (ISA, PCI, etc)?
Thank you,
John
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation