Question

Tutor
Ibmuser
Message 1 of 12 (555 Views)
Accepted Solution

H9-1187 video card upgrade space on motherboard

I have an HP Pavilion h9-1187 windows 64 bit pc  with the default nvidia GeForce GT 530 .  I need to upgrade the video card but this motherboard only has one pci express 16 3.0 slot.  Almost all decent video cards request two slots.  I guess that  most cards except those in the crossfire configuration, two cards together, need both slots.  Most of the time,I guess the vendor is requesting two slots  because of space.  Without removing the cover off my pc and possibly voiding the warranty,  can anyone tell me what width video card can this pc take.   I has the PEGATRON CORPORATION MOTHERBOARD, the default.  If you care to recommend a decent video card  around 250-300us feel free.  Thank You 

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 12 (507 Views)

Re: H9-1187 video card upgrade space on motherboard

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Review this posted document for background information.

Look at the back of your PC where the existing video card is installed.  The lower red arrow is where the exising video card is installed.  The upper red arrow indicates a PCI slot cover for an expansion card if installed. If it is blank then you probably have room for a double wide video card.

.h9-1187 rear.jpg

The specifications for your PC indicate a 600 watt power supply which is an excellent size for a very good video card.

This Sapphire 7850 2 GB is a PCI-E version 3 card.  It's an excellent performer for the money.

These HP 'how-to" articles should be helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
arizonabay
Message 3 of 12 (335 Views)

I recently bought a Powercolor amd 7850 2gb card. It will not work with my hp h9 computer. Noone seems to be able to help me. When I snap the card in I don't even get a post. Is this card incompatable ?

Tutor
Ibmuser
Message 4 of 12 (327 Views)

[ Edited ]
I installed the nvidia gtx 650 ti . It's a great card with superb price/performance. It needed only one power supply plugs from the pc to the card. Many other cards need 2 of these plugs but you will need to buy an adapter to install it. Also, any card needing two power plugs to the card may consume too much power and exceed the power supplies limit.
Tutor
Ibmuser
Message 5 of 12 (321 Views)

If the card is seated properly and no post, my first guess s you are drawing too much power. Try to find out from the specs on that card how much power it draws and remember, every piece of hardware from the CPU to the fans use power. You have a total of 600 w to work with. The nvidia gtx 650ti uses 110w and one 6 pin power connector and a recommended 400w power supply. The powercolor card u have uses 150 w and recommends a minimum 500 w .power supply. You could try n add up how much power u r usng by going to http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. There are many sites like this.
Honor Student
arizonabay
Message 6 of 12 (305 Views)

Should I upgrade the psu or can I get an external psu?
Tutor
Ibmuser
Message 7 of 12 (303 Views)

[ Edited ]
If I were you I would return the powercolor card if you can and purchase the 650 ti from nvidia. It has directx 11 support plus it runs cool and quiet. One neat thing it does is that it start up with the fan in reverse for a few seconds which does a lot to keep the board clean . If you can't return the card, yes you should be able to upgrade the psu See this article. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025425/how-to-pick-the-best-pc-power-supply.html. I prefer Antec personally. Call the company sales department and tell them the model pc you have. Most of the high end psu makers are very helpful and knowledgeable. Also, if you are still under warranty, you will void the warranty on your pc so call hp and confirm. Upgrading psu's is common. The only caution I offer is that whatever psu you buy, you have enough room for the cables . Some psu"'s let you connect only the cables you need and not install the ones you don't so do your homework. The cost will be about 150 or so . Not cheap.... So see if can return the card like I said earlier and get the 650ti card, if not upgrade the psu. Hope this helps. The card you are trying to install is unique, it has been over locked to the max so heat might also give you trouble . By the way, I have never heard of an external psu not to say they don't exist!
Honor Student
arizonabay
Message 8 of 12 (295 Views)

Unfortuanatly I can't return the 7850 because I used the free game coupon. Which is okay I suppose since I put it in my other older pc. I noticed some of the newer models of this pc are offering a gtx 680 which I would imagine is more power hungry than this. Oh well I guess I will try the 650 ti and see how that works out.I don't want to spend over 200 really. Should I get one with a 128 bit bus or 192 since depending on the brand I can get them in the same price range. Thanks.

Tutor
Ibmuser
Message 9 of 12 (291 Views)

At either bus speed it is most unlikely that components from your CPU to your memory will ever be able to see that much data. A video game, movie , photos etc don't come even close to generating that much data so it really doesn't matter. Don't be so concerned with such detailed specs. If the component I.e. video card does what you need it to do and the reviews from sites like cnet.com are good, buy it. Faster does not mean better if you can't take advantage of it and 128bits is a hell of a lot of data. I would buy 128 simply because its been around longer and more proven. My personal choice .
Tutor
Ibmuser
Message 10 of 12 (275 Views)

Just a note, the card I bought is the Asus 650 ti 1gb gddr5 memory for 170.00 from newegg. Shop around and you may find it cheaper . 3 yr warranty.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation