Question

Honor Student
gtmyrick08
Message 1 of 3 (496 Views)

HELP! - How to know about a ethernet port? Is it bad?

Sorry if this post isn't done just right I am NEW! :smileyhappy:  I have issues though with my desktop.  I have both a laptop and desktop.  I called my local internet provider and asked them to help me hook up everything.  Well to make a long story short...my laptop is hooked up wirelessly but my desktop won't show up.  Not the cord cuz we tried that, so something isn't configed right or my port is bad I am assuming and I don't have the extended coverage to find out.  Hoping that someone on here is a computer wiz and can help a girl out!  Don't know nothing about these things besides email and chat!  LOL

In dire need of help if you will.  Thanks so much!  gtmyrick

Honor Student
gtmyrick08
Message 2 of 3 (492 Views)

Re: HELP! - How to know about a ethernet port? Is it bad?

Ok so I got to thinking, it can't be bad, cuz when I had just my desktop hard wired to my cable modem it was plugged into that port so something must just be configed wrong, Please help!  SO CONFUSED!
PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 3 of 3 (485 Views)

Re: HELP! - How to know about a ethernet port? Is it bad?

Your cable modem is connected to your router to a special LAN port called the uplink (it's a unique port ouf of all of them)

Are you trying to connect wired or wirelessly to the router with your desktop?

If LAN:

Put your desktop next to the router and run a short LAN cable to one of the other LAN ports available and see if that works. If it works, move it to another room and run a LAN cable and doesn't move it a bit further using a longer LAN cable

If WLAN:

Do you have the SSID, Encryption type and Key to connect to your router? You need that information to connect wirelessly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation