Question

Student
dfbowen
Message 1 of 2 (1,681 Views)

HP Pavilion a6760a power works, but won't boot - no HP logo, no beep

HP Pavilion a6760a Desktop PC  (part_number : FT962AA) from 2010. Windows 7, 32-bit.

Until a few weeks ago it ran fine. Then I started getting increasing numbers of Windows BSODs - primarily related to ntfs.sys. Tried checking patches, updating the BIOS, etc. I did run the built-in HP diagnostics (PC Doctor) and it didn't find anything wrong.

Tonight going to look at it again, it booted up to the HP logo, but no further.

On subsequent boots, it doesn't even get that far. The monitor is blank (I've verified the monitor is not at fault), but the usual single beep never happens.

The power appears to be working. The front power light is on, as is the light on the back of the case from the PSU. The CPU and video card fans are spinning. The keyboard lights flash when the power starts.

I've looked through the HP support site and tried some of the suggestions, including checking for dust, unplugging all devices, disconnecting hard drives, unplugging the RAM (tried the original DIMMs from before I did an upgrade several months ago, but also tried with none plugged-in).

This problem someone posted a few months ago looks similar, but I haven't had any luck trying the suggested solutions.

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 2 of 2 (1,006 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion a6760a power works, but won't boot - no HP logo, no beep

Hello dfbowen,

I understand you’re able to boot to the HP logo but no further is that correct?

I also see you have done a lot based on your own troubleshooting which is appreciated. I have provided a link below that hopefully will shed some more light on your issue. Some of what it asks you have already done so just skip over those steps. It also includes a video if that is helpful. When you open the link just go down to step 3 and start from there, and work your way through.

Windows 7 No Boot 

Let me know if this helps you out.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation