Question

Honor Student
champ69
Message 1 of 10 (3,675 Views)

Hard Disc errors shown on scan/test

Hi, some help please

My HP Pavillion  a6421.uk computer ran (itself) a monthly (never seen it before in two years !), maintainence test, and the following errors came up. Seems something to do withGeneric USB Disk Device (Hard Drive)

Test name error code

Random seek test HD535-5W

Funnel seek test HD535 - 3W

Surface scan test HD535 - 2W

Surface scan test 2 HD535 - 2W

There were no suggestions of how to correct these errors. Are they serious/a problem, or should I just ignore - thanks

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 10 (3,641 Views)

Re: Hard Disc errors shown on scan/test

[ Edited ]

Champ, with every test showing an error code, I suggest that you backup your personal data ASAP.  I may be incorrect, but it seems like your drive is ready to fail.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 10 (3,468 Views)

I find it amazing that all we get are canned letters or told to use a support forum the first and second HD HP sent me were both defective, Since June of 2009 I have no working system and they have all of the money I had for a new PC. I am disabled ths was supposed to be to IMPROVE the quality of my life, what a joke, and they STILL have not sent the WIndows 7 upgrade I'm entitled to.

I guess I'm out of luck with the REPLACEMENT HD defective with errors NEW, and I get the same errors and more, I can't even use system restore and I've already wiped it, reformatted it and put it back to FACTORY CONDITION which they told me would fix everything.Nothing is going to help but a NEW HARD DRIVE and HP and Windows should be ashamed of themselves.

So you're not alone I get it too on my NEW computer which will probably end up going to my disability rights conservator at this point

If you find a fix p lease post. Thanks, sorry I am no help!

Student
bobrohe
Message 4 of 10 (3,135 Views)

Random seek test HD535-5W

my pc just did the same,only with the above fail message.

do not know if there is a real problem or not.

Honor Student
briktopvox
Message 5 of 10 (2,456 Views)

i got the same error.I then bought a new drive and 3 weeks later same result. I've  been running with it finr for over a year and seen alotta discussions about this.End result is its a hp issue where its misreading there are solutions online that are easy to fix this but really no need too.

Honor Student
briktopvox
Message 6 of 10 (2,451 Views)

Your smart scan is failing too and that what causes this error but its not really true

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 7 of 10 (2,441 Views)

Actual quote: "Seems something to do withGeneric USB Disk Device (Hard Drive)".  Issued dated 01/01/2010

Actual answer: it is referencing the USB card reader.  per:

http://www.pcdoctor-community.com/forum/index.php?topic=127.0

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/84542-removable-usb-drive.html

Although this is a random problem for the card reader, I had to LOL at the logic test.

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB WIN7-64bit
Custom Asus P8P67 board, I7-2600k, WIN7 Pro 64bit, GTX670 2GB, 16GB RAM, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W
HP m8100eCTO WIN7 Ultimate 32bit. XFX5670 1GB, Rosewill 530W.
Printer -- OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus

Student
vicrre
Message 8 of 10 (1,628 Views)

Got the same message.  I have a HP Pavillion, model a6857c.  have same questions:  how to fix it, and how bad it is?  Thanks!

Student
GRAVEHEART
Message 9 of 10 (940 Views)

Recently, the Hardware Diagnostics scan reveals a problem identified as a HD535-3W error.

How do I repair this?

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 10 of 10 (914 Views)

Hello GRAVEHEART,

It's not something that can be repaired. The hard drive is failing. You should back up your data and replace the hard drive, or wait for it to fail and change it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation