Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Ok, back to the procedure you showed me.  That procedure is use for "To ENABLE the defalt AHCI mode to RAID mode" correct? If so here are the few questions:

A FIRST THING:  Last night it took me 3.5 hours to do the HP Recovery Media Creation into 4 DVDs, I believe this is very important before I touch any hardware/settings upgrade. Do I have to do System Image backup to my External HD too? or it's similar of the HP Recovery Media discs? I am not fully understand between two.

AN SECOND THING: I need to go buy the 120GB-250GB of the Sata SSD and plug into the Tower/Board before I follow your procedure correct?

Once I can get into the BIOS, change the AHCI to RAID, I save the settings in BIOS, exist out.  Computer is restart and it should be load into Safe Mode.  

1)  Check in my Device Manager, if I can the new entry: Intel Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller.  That's mean it's successful?
2)  Once I can see the new entry, I need to go back msconfig again and uncheck the "Safe Boot" box and then restart the PC again correct?
3)  After the unchecked "Safe Boot", the PC should restart back into normal/regular Windows mode.  Do I have to download the software of Intel RST? or the software/program is already in my Control Panel?
4)  If I can see the program Intel RST in Control Panel, I can follow the step from (http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-it-Works-Intel-SSD-Caching-148/) to ENABLE/CREATE the 16gB SSD Disk Cache correct?
5)  I assume this motherboard can only handle 16GB of SSD Disk Cache, if my SSD is 120GB that mean the system automatic only get 16GB, and the rest of available GB I can format/partition it to use for my own stuffs correct?
6)  IF everything is set successful.  I don't need to set the RAID back to default of AHCI in BIOS correct?

7) do I miss anything?

Thanks for helping me here.

HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

Yikes!  You even got a monitor with this system for $999? I like the price and the technology. This PC can be easliy upgraded in so many different ways.   While the Intel i7-4770 can't be upgraded (K model is not worth it), Intel will probably come out with a couple of more bumps for the 1150 socketed motherboard.  I can't say if the HP bios will support those bumps.  The only thing that I can find that perhaps is a little weak is the video card which might not be an issue for you if you don't need strong video performance.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

Yes DVDs will work but a USB flash drinve might be a better choice and certainly would have been faster to create the HP recovery media.

Answers:

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Your PC should have the correct Intel IRST software installed according to the original driver that is posted.  You need version 11.7 or higher. However, you might want to download the latest IRST from the Intel site and install it before doing anything. This version works well on my PC.
  4. The cache assignment page will indicate how much of the SSD you can use for cache functions.  What is left over, if any, can be used as a "scratch pad" area.
  5. Yes -- you should be able to use more than 16GB for cache.  64GB is probably the maximum.
  6. No -- Leave the SATA mode setting to RAID
  7. You might need to disable secure boot since you are making a hardware change. I didn't and had no problems.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Can I use regular SSHD or Sata HDD for disk caching? Or i must use SSD only?
HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

Your question basically centers around your particular need and how much flexibility you want to retain. The typical SSD typically has slightly better performance and can be use for both a "scratch pad" and disk caching depending on its size. The msata would typically be used only for disk caching.

If you go with a SSD, then don't put anything on it until after you have disk caching active. Then use disk management to format the remaining space for use as a "scratch pad" partition.

Now as the say, "It's time for you to fish or cut bait".

HP Recommended

I just bought from bestbuy the SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive) 2TB and also Intel SSD 180GB , they dont have Samsung Evo SSD like you got.

Which is best one to use?

HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

I installed the lastest Intel RST program from your link and after that I try to use/install the Intel SSD  and follow your procedures first and then I follow the steps from the article for Disk Cache settings.  The amazing result that I got succesful with it.

I tested my desktop with Restart few times, shutdown fews time .. everything seem working perfect. Very fast get into Windows from the boot.

Below is the screenshot I took from my desktop.

disk.jpg

I haven't do partition (Create New Volume) from the rest of empty space on that new SSD yet (go max at 64Gb of Disk Caching, and about 104 GB empty left).  This SSD is kind expensive, cost me $166, so I might look different SSD which cost less than it.  What do you think?

Once again, I am really appreciate your support on this thing.

HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

The Intel depiction for disk caching looking like RAID 0 is really a horrible example of what really is going on.  The traditional RAID 0 implementation "stripes" data objects across physical volumes. There is no "striping" going on with disk caching. Intel limits the disk caching to 64GB.

On one of my custom motherboards with a Marvell secondary SATA controller I can do disk caching without the 64 GB limit. The advantage is when you have a more than 64 GB of highly referenced data or when static data exceeds 64 GB yet it still requires high performance. 

HP Recommended

Hi Dave

So you are saying Raid 0 from my current setup is wrong/bad? I thought it look same as the article online.

What step it need to do to fix if it's wrong setup? Please let me know thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Frank,

I am saying the that when Intel calls the cache volume RAID 0 that it is a BIG misnomber.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.