Question

Honor Student
deathracer
Message 1 of 4 (105 Views)

P7 Desktop Wifi upgrade possible?

I have (2) HP desktops that I would like to upgrade the wireless to dual band and better range (external antenae)

PC#1: P7-1246c

PC#2: P7-1456c

Both PCs have the wirelss mini card plugged into the mother board

The existing mini cards are already "n" standard, but are only single band

My wireless router is an ASUS dark night which I currently have setup to dual band mode

I want to install: TP Link Wireless N450 Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (TL-WDN4800)

- Is this upgrade possible?

- Do I need to remove the existing wirelss mini-cards, or simply disable them in device manager?

- Do I need to make any changes in BIOS?

thanks

Honor Student
brevoort
Message 2 of 4 (93 Views)

Re: P7 Desktop Wifi upgrade possible?

you could just buy a USB adapter for cheap at microcenter:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/416626/Wireless_N300_USB_Adapter

Honor Student
deathracer
Message 3 of 4 (85 Views)

I already have the TP link internal cards on order, and do prefer the integrated solution (however if I'm sure it won't work, I'll return those cards to BestBuy and go for USB instead)

thanks

Honor Student
deathracer
Message 4 of 4 (84 Views)

Just another comment - my intention is to get a dual band solution:  Reason, I want to use the 5Ghz band for my 2 desktops

1) I have a Panasonic microwave (inverter technology) that could interfere on the 2.4 ghz band

2) I am planning to get a SONOS wireless speaker system (which also uses 2.4 ghz band) - I've read of intereference issues on the 2.4 ghz band

3) My ASUS router does outoput on dual band - so I want to take advantage of band

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation