Question

Tutor
Webbo
Message 1 of 6 (13,859 Views)

PC won't start - one short beep one long beep...

... nothing displayed on monitor.

Pavilion Slimline s5110uk

According to HP website this beep code = memory problem. However I'm not sure about that as I was  previously getting a system fan error message

I took the panel of the case to clean up and check the fan which is actually ok. Now I've got the beeps.

Incidentally the problem started with the beeps, then after the first time I cleaned inside it changed to the system fan message.

I've seen some advice on this website about removing memory one at a time and trying again.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before and may have different advice?

Thanks in advance :smileyhappy:

Tutor
Webbo
Message 2 of 6 (13,834 Views)

Re: PC won't start - one short beep one long beep...

An update on my own post...

Disconnected the monitor  and switched on pc - no beeps

Switched off pc and monitor, re-connected monitor - switched on again and it now works!

Keeping my fingers crossed that this was a simple case of a loose connection (with misleading 'memory problem' beep code!) rather than manifestation of more serious problem somewhere else

Provost
erico
Message 3 of 6 (13,832 Views)

[ Edited ]

I would consider updating the Intel chipset drivers. Go to the Intel driver update website. There is a utility provided by Intel that will determine which chipset is installed. Once you know that, then you can download the Intel chipset update utility for the specific chipset.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
neharris85
Message 4 of 6 (13,611 Views)

One short beep one long beep, checked and cleaned fans PC worked a month and it has started again this time cleaning fans did not work

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 5 of 6 (13,607 Views)

Hi,

I looked at your other post. Which is it? One long followed by one short or one short followed by one long?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Student
ferdi2050
Message 6 of 6 (12,714 Views)

Hi!

I have the same problem, using a HP Pavilion m7625.sc. I got a short beep followed by a long.

What do i have to do to solve the problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation