Question

Honor Student
camknows
Message 1 of 18 (22,580 Views)

Power cord causing 100% CPU usage on 8510p

I have an HP Compaq 8510p. My laptop was using 100% CPU. It just so happened to be around a Patch Tuesday, so I thought it was an update I had run. I uninstalled recent patches and it didn't change anything. I also did a system restore to a point when I knew it was working fine. Still 100% CPU.

I lived with it for a few days. Then, when working from home one day, I discovered the problem. When my power cord was plugged into the laptop and charging, it was using 100% CPU. When it was unplugged, it went down to normal (about 10-20%) immediately. I thought that it might be a power options problem, so I adjusted that to all the possible combos (i.e. Power saver, Balanced, High performance). Still slow.

I tried my co-workers power supply since he uses the same laptop as me. When I used his power cord, everything was fine. Low CPU usage. We tried using my power cord on his laptop and it made his CPU skyrocket. This narrowed down the issue to the power cord and not the input on the laptop itself.

Since then, I've gone through 3 power supplies all with the same problem. One of them eventually stopped working altogether. My co-worker has his original power supply and it has worked perfectly for him and me ever since we received these machines. I should also mention that I am very careful when I place my power cord in my bag. There is never any visible damage. My co-worker and I put our cords in our laptop bags the same way.

I am on my fourth power supply now and the issue is starting to happen again.

So, my questions:

First, what is causing this? How can the power supply eat up my CPU usage? I'm more of a software guy instead of a hardware guy, so please enlighten me,

Second, has anyone else ever have this problem with this laptop, or any other laptop for that matter?

Third, do I have any other options than receiving another new power supply and waiting for that one to go bad too? Can HP send me something that might be more stable?

Thanks in advance.

Master's Graduate
frprinterwiz
Message 2 of 18 (22,554 Views)

Re: Power cord causing 100% CPU usage on 8510p

The damage being done to your power cable probably has something to do with the wall plug you are using.  You may be using an outlet that is not providing sufficient power or too much power and that is causing your power supply to have to work much harder and therefor burning out much quicker.  Make sure you are not plugging it into any powerbars, surge protectors or UPS systems and you could go through the expense to have a qualified electrician come out and test the plugs to make sure they are not spiking or browning out.
insert signature here
Honor Student
camknows
Message 3 of 18 (22,548 Views)

Thanks for your reply, frprinterwiz. What you mentioned very well could be the cause as I am constantly plugging in all over my work campus and at home. Unfortunately, this has initially started in different locations. Once at my desk at work (power strip), once in a cafeteria (wall outlet), and twice now at home (wall outlets). A part of me wants to believe that one of the many outlets I plug into is the culprit, but another part of me wants to blame the power cable. However, it can't be that since I haven't found another 8510p owner with the same problem. Definitely other people with bad power supplies, but not experiencing the CPU issue like me.
Honor Student
llcooljoe
Message 4 of 18 (22,343 Views)

i have the same issue on my hp 6510b. and it took a little while to figure it out.

first i targeted the hdd encryption.

to fix it temporarily unplugging and plugging in the power cord a several times helps...

but it's not satisfying...

btw: the problem occurs on diverse wall sockets..

is it a defective power supply?

thanks for help,

johannes

Student
louiswen
Message 5 of 18 (21,952 Views)

Can sb answer the question why? i had the same problem now. yesterday my HP labtop Compaq 6910p suddenly run very very slowly and the CPU usage was around 100%. By accidently i found it was because of my power cord, when i didn't plug my power cord or used my colleague's laptop (same type) power cord, the problem was gone, CPU usage around 2%. my laptop is only used 3 months.
Honor Student
llcooljoe
Message 6 of 18 (21,679 Views)

changed the power supply -> everything worked fine...
Honor Student
camknows
Message 7 of 18 (21,464 Views)

I also eventually got another power cord (my fourth or fifth now) and everything is working fine. I am avoiding the outlets that were causing the problem, but haven't had a chance for an electrician to come take a look, so I still cannot determine whether it's the cord or the wall.

Best thing to do is treat your power cord with great care. My tech support team says that they get requests for these replacements constantly. Try not to bend it at all and wrap it up nice when you have to put it in a bag. And like me, avoid any outlets that you think may be bad.

Student
lem888
Message 8 of 18 (19,675 Views)

Thanks for posting your problem.  I have the same problem with my 8510p and it was driving me nuts trying to figure it out.  I have now replaced my 90w AC power converter ($80 at Best Buy)  with a 180w converter ($30 from Overstock) and all is fine.

The strange thing was that CPU usage would shoot to 100% when I plugged in old AC converter.  The usage would stay at 100% even if I unplugged the AC converter from the wall socket.  The only way to get it to go down was to unplug the power cord from the computer.  Sometimes, I could get it to go down if I twisted the connection to the computer bit by bit until I saw the usage meter drop.  Very strange.

Also, I checked my old AC converter with a meter and it's output was well within specs (18 v). I'd love to here from HP's engineers exactly what is going on.

Honor Student
Pedrin
Message 9 of 18 (19,358 Views)

I have got the same problem with my Compaq 6910p ... I cannot believe HP cannot include a high quality power supply with its LapTops ... I think they should implement some kind of Quality Control for its stuff.

Nobody has got a solution for this problem or a workarround ... umbelievable !!!!

Next time I will think twice if I have to choose between an HP and another brand ... I hate this Power supply !!!!

Honor Student
Pedrin
Message 10 of 18 (19,319 Views)

Dear buddies,

For XP systems, try this application:  SpeedswitchXP

It helps with the problem of  100% of CPU load while using the power supply, just set "CPU speed" "on external power" to: "Max. Performance" and voilá

I hope this could help many of us with this problem that cannot be solved by HP geniuses

Best regards

Pedro

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation